Report: Kevin Youkilis takes $12 million from Yankees

Dec 11, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT

White Sox Youkilis celebrates game-winning single in MLB American League baseball game against Rangers in Chicago Reuters

FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says Kevin Youkilis will be decked out in pinstripes and goatee-less next season.

According to Rosenthal, the Yankees and Youkilis have agreed to a one-year, $12 million contract that would put the long time Red Sox infielder at third base until Alex Rodriguez returns from hip surgery in June or July.

Youkilis had the option of taking a paycut and a multiyear deal from the Indians before they signed Mark Reynolds, but the combination of playing for a surefire contender and matching last year’s salary apparently appealed to him more than playing in his home state and reuniting with Terry Francona.

The addition of Youkilis gives the Yankees the right-handed bat they desired with Rodriguez out. The two players could alternate between third base and DH once A-Rod returns.

Youkilis hit .235/.336/.409 with 19 homers and 60 RBI for the Red Sox and White Sox last season. He’s a lifetime .233/.337/.397 hitter with four homers in 73 at-bats at new Yankee Stadium.

1. giantboy99 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Hamilton will be next

• me04015 - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Youk doesn’t deserve boo birds in Boston, even coming back as a Yankme. Its not his fault he was in a slump and butted heads with the joke of a manger they had at the time, that ended with him being traded.

2. tfbuckfutter - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I hope he gets herpes.

3. butchhuskey - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM

There is no loyalty in baseball *sigh*

• brockw82 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I know…I’m a Yanks fan and I don’t like the thought of having YOOOOOOOOOOOUK in pinstripes.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM

get over it!!

• yournuts - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I’m a Yankee fan that likes the Idea of Youk in pinstripes. He can fill in at 1St base and PH. Great pickup.

• paperlions - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Loyalty to what? The Red Sox shipped him out after their manager did everything he could to denigrate him in the media…and now, as a FA, somehow the fact that he used to play for a team that traded him for peanuts is supposed to matter in his choice of next job?

• stex52 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Paper beat me to it. He is every bit as loyal to the Sox as they were to him.

And if you think that teams or players are loyal to their fans……………? Well, I don’t know what to say.

• Old Gator - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I do. But you couldn’t print it here.

• hammyofdoom - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I would rather him play for the yankees than him just retire. It’d be one thing if he flipped the Sox the bird and left for the Yankees; then I’d be upset. However the indians didnt sign him, it looks like no one else wants him… so I wish him the best of luck with the yankees, just not while against the Red sox.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM

there is no crying in baseball, everything else is on like donkey kong!!!
      12million green backs will make you do thing’s you would never do.

• dcfan4life - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

This is not a situation where Youkilis would never go to the Yankees and the money changed his mind. This is more like he wants to win, the Yankees wanted him, he gets to play everyday at 3rd, and it can be a little screw you to the Red Sox. None of this is surprising.

• bluestar4ever - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

You’re absolutely right. Youkilis busted his @ss for the Red Sox for years and helped bring them 2 World Series championships, then they repaid him by trashing him to the media and trading him. You’re right, there is no loyalty anymore.

• teaspoon1731 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Youk was loyal to the Boston fans. Ownership made their decision, but Youk graciously thanked the fans for their support over the years. I will never boo this man, despite the pinstripes.

4. fredverd - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:11 PM

He used to always be a “hard out” for the Yankees; let’s hope he continues/returns to that status. If that is so, he will be a positive addition to that lineup. Good luck to us…

• Caught Looking - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Maybe at Fenway but his slash line at Yankee stadium is dead on with his career slash line.

5. pinkfloydprism - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Yes! He sucks! I am glad they signed him!

6. nickrox33 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM

12 million dollars for a player who hits .260 with 13 home runs and 60 rbis…..

• Caught Looking - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:22 PM

So? Red Sox signed a player for $13 million who hit .255/11 HR/55 RBI last season (Victorino)

• fanofevilempire - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

nice………….

• bluestar4ever - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM

And the red sox gave Victorino 3 years. Yankees were smart enough to keep Youk’s contract to one year

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Sadly, that’s the going rate for guys like him.

• zacksdad - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I thought he only hit 235 last year. The rich get richer and we get poorer.

• uyf1950 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

He hit 19 HR;s last year I believe.

• ptfu - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Youk also walked 51 times in 509 PA’s, which ain’t too shabby. That’s about 20% below the Greek God of Walks’ career walk rate, and I see no reason it shouldn’t regress (progress?) toward his norm. If he can hit even a little, his on-base percentage should be just fine.

7. pisano - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I have a feeling he’ll be revived being a Yankee, just like Damon was. Arod is in major decline,and people are saying he won’t be back at all for 2013. I do feel they could have done better with Keppinger, but that’s water under the bridge.

• hammyofdoom - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM

See, I dont think so. Damons last year with the sox was just fine: .316 batting average, .360 OBP, a little less power than normal but that changed with the short porch at Yankee Stadium. Youk just aged poorly, he started striking out too much, walking less and just being hurt all the damn time. if he is healthy I think he’ll do fine… but I have a bad feeling playing third every day will be rough on him, I mean even with the White Sox he only had an OPS of .771 with his lowest K to BB ratio ever in the majors. I hope him the best, but it doesnt look well

• badintent - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM

See Knicks Exhibit A for nursing home old players champions. First place is sweet, I’m happy with got Ichiro too, old players know what to do on the field and avoid off field problems like DUI, nasty comments on eye black, strip clubs at 3:00 AM, etc. Go Yankees and Knicks.2013 is all good.

8. sfm073 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:26 PM

You people that are talking about loyalty live in a fantasy world.

9. husky2score - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Best of luck!

NOT! YANKEES SUCK!

• ezthinking - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Is that you Wayne? Or is it Garth?

• fanofevilempire - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM

yeah, 27 times,,,,
      in ya face…………….

10. yankeesgameday - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Get those police horses out for the trip around the outfield Youkilis.

See: Boggs, Wade.

(oh, and even though he’s now a Yankee I refuse to ever call him Youk.)

11. fissels - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Da Youka! Go Yanks!

12. tampajoey - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Sell out

13. number42is1 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Phukyouk!

14. mungman69 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Ain’t nottin sacred?

15. uyf1950 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

For one year, it’s a good deal for the Yankees. He’s solid on defense and still has some power and he plays with a lot of heart. Yea, it’s a little more then you would like to see paid for a player but it is only 1 year and this seems to be the year of overpaying players. None more overpaid then Greinke’s 6 years/$147MM total and Victorino’s 3 years/$39MM. Most importantly Youkilis fills a need for the Yankees. Good signing, now sign Ichiro.

• hammyofdoom - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I hope he’s solid over there but I really doubt it. He’s a gold glove caliber 1B but at 3rd I’d say he’s average at best. He has very little range and while he’ll get anything thats hit to him but his range is quite small. if he is totally healthy he’ll be fine, but the guy hasnt had a full, healthy season since 2009. I think it’s a good signing, I’m just wondering how much time he’ll miss on the DL

• uyf1950 - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I think the Yankees are only looking at a need for him at 3rd base for about 100 games in 2013. I think he’s more then capable of giving them that. The rest of his AB’s will come between filling in for Tex occasionally at 1st and doing some DH’ing. On a 1 year deal it’s a no brainer for the Yankees. If he was looking for more then a 1 year deal no way the Yankees would have signed him. You know what they say “there is no such thing as a bad 1 year deal” and I happen to agree with that.

16. brandedthefirst - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

nickrox33
    Dec 11, 2012, 6:18 PM EST
    12 million dollars for a player who hits .260 with 13 home runs and 60 rbis…..
    _________________________________

In how many at bats?

17. mempusa - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

They can have him. He’s washed up just like the majority of their roster

• uyf1950 - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Yes, a roster that’s basically the same as the one that had the 3rd best record in the Major Leagues last year and one of only 4 Major League teams left standing at the LCS in 2012. Just imagine how good they would be if they weren’t as you say “washed up”.

18. yanks33 - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Never really like Youkilis while he was a Redsock….my mind has changed since then

19. abaird2012 - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

“Washed up … you keep using those words … I do not think it means what you think it means …”

20. thebigtim2012 - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

He he. Sloppy seconds anyone?

21. bostonboy82 - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Wow. So much money sitting on NY’s 3rd base it’s crazy….well soon to all be sitting on the DL. Enjoy.

22. roseann894 - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM

First things first! Shave that goatee at once! Can’t have any individuality displayed by a Yankee!

23. steelers88 - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Yoooooooouk!

24. autmorsautlibertas - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I’m not very crazy about this signing. I am starting to think that this is going to be a very rough year (couple of years) for a Yankee fan.

25. serbingood - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM

So much for the team getting younger!

I hear that Cashman has a call in for Jorge Posada. They do need a catcher.

Day 60 ish and still no Swisher signing. Swish alone could bring the average age of the team down by at least 1.5 years. Bring Swisher BACK.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win