Dec 11, 2012, 6:01 PM EST
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says Kevin Youkilis will be decked out in pinstripes and goatee-less next season.
According to Rosenthal, the Yankees and Youkilis have agreed to a one-year, $12 million contract that would put the long time Red Sox infielder at third base until Alex Rodriguez returns from hip surgery in June or July.
Youkilis had the option of taking a paycut and a multiyear deal from the Indians before they signed Mark Reynolds, but the combination of playing for a surefire contender and matching last year’s salary apparently appealed to him more than playing in his home state and reuniting with Terry Francona.
The addition of Youkilis gives the Yankees the right-handed bat they desired with Rodriguez out. The two players could alternate between third base and DH once A-Rod returns.
Youkilis hit .235/.336/.409 with 19 homers and 60 RBI for the Red Sox and White Sox last season. He’s a lifetime .233/.337/.397 hitter with four homers in 73 at-bats at new Yankee Stadium.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)