Dec 11, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says Kevin Youkilis will be decked out in pinstripes and goatee-less next season.
According to Rosenthal, the Yankees and Youkilis have agreed to a one-year, $12 million contract that would put the long time Red Sox infielder at third base until Alex Rodriguez returns from hip surgery in June or July.
Youkilis had the option of taking a paycut and a multiyear deal from the Indians before they signed Mark Reynolds, but the combination of playing for a surefire contender and matching last year’s salary apparently appealed to him more than playing in his home state and reuniting with Terry Francona.
The addition of Youkilis gives the Yankees the right-handed bat they desired with Rodriguez out. The two players could alternate between third base and DH once A-Rod returns.
Youkilis hit .235/.336/.409 with 19 homers and 60 RBI for the Red Sox and White Sox last season. He’s a lifetime .233/.337/.397 hitter with four homers in 73 at-bats at new Yankee Stadium.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)