Dec 11, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says Kevin Youkilis will be decked out in pinstripes and goatee-less next season.
According to Rosenthal, the Yankees and Youkilis have agreed to a one-year, $12 million contract that would put the long time Red Sox infielder at third base until Alex Rodriguez returns from hip surgery in June or July.
Youkilis had the option of taking a paycut and a multiyear deal from the Indians before they signed Mark Reynolds, but the combination of playing for a surefire contender and matching last year’s salary apparently appealed to him more than playing in his home state and reuniting with Terry Francona.
The addition of Youkilis gives the Yankees the right-handed bat they desired with Rodriguez out. The two players could alternate between third base and DH once A-Rod returns.
Youkilis hit .235/.336/.409 with 19 homers and 60 RBI for the Red Sox and White Sox last season. He’s a lifetime .233/.337/.397 hitter with four homers in 73 at-bats at new Yankee Stadium.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)