The other Hall of Fame inductees announced

Dec 11, 2012, 3:04 PM EDT

Rush

Rock and Roll, that is:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has officially announced next year’s inductees: Rush, Public Enemy, Heart, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Albert King

There’s no baseball news right now, so let’s find their baseball analogs:

Rush: Jim Rice.  Really not deserving, but their supporters are so vocal and such pains in the butt that at some point it’s just easier to let them in than leave them out. Not sure if Boston has a lot of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame support, but they’d be Jack Morris.

Public Enemy: Sandy Koufax. Burned brighter than anyone but only for a short while. “Yo! Bum Rush The Show,” “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back,” “Fear of a Black Planet” and “Apocalypse 91″ are like Koufax’s 1963-66.

Heart: Ernie Banks. Not in overall greatness — Banks was of higher quality — but in terms of having two very distinct careers. “Barracuda” era Heart is Ernie Banks the shortstop. “These Dreams” Heart is first baseman Ernie Banks. The latter is OK — a guilty pleasure, even — but we would not be talking about their greatness if only the second half existed.

Randy Newman: I’ll admit, I only really know Randy Newman for “Short People,” “I Love L.A.” and his movie work. A lot of his stuff, I gather, especially songwriting for others, is really high quality. I’m just ignorant. So consider me to be one of the jerkier, willfully ignorant Hall of Fame voters circa 2004 and consider Newman my Bert Blyleven.

Donna Summer: An unfairly- judged representative of an era which everyone now says they hated but we all loved at the time and don’t you pretend we didn’t. So, of course, she’s Jeff Bagwell.

Albert King: I don’t know much about his career, but according to his Wikipedia entry his nickname was “The Velvet Bulldozer,” and that should get him in the Hall of Fame in and of itself.  Dick “Dr. Strangeglove” Stuart? I’m sure that’s totally unfair to King, but I don’t have a ton of time to check his stuff out right now. Anyone who wants to hip us to King’s bonafides in the comments, by all means do so.

When does baseball season start again?

117 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. sdelmonte - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Rush = Ferguson Jenkins. Canadians, you know.

2. cmb79 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Rush isn’t deserving? Seriously????

• ashoreinhawaii - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Yea, seriously.

3. shaggylocks - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM

“When does baseball season start again?”

Dude, it’s already the 2013 season. Don’t you read your own stuff?

4. vanmorrissey - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM

“When does baseball season start again?” Not soon enough, not soon enough.

5. shynessismyelguapo - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Still absent:

-The Replacements
    -Black Flag/Bad Religion/Dead Kennedys/Any representation for the early 80s hardcore scene that help spawn a enormous, self-sustaining underground music scene
    -Cheap Trick (I’m not even that big of a Cheap Trick fan, but they’re better than 90% of their contemporaries who are in)
    -The Smiths (or the Cure in a pinch)

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM

…though in the case of the Smiths, would it be possible to for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame to acknowledge that while the Smiths were a great band, Morrissey is an insufferable douchebag? Instead of giving him a trophy, they can punch him in the neck or something.

• ashoreinhawaii - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Nice list, and I would say Randy Newman belongs more on yours than the other one. Shame there isn’t an alternative hall where the obvious greats like the Beatles get in, but the crap doesn’t (Jackson 5 – Jackson 1, yea, but not the others- Rush, Heart, etc.).

• kevinbnyc - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM

They should form a Veterans committee.

• deadeyedesign23 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Is there any big joke in pop culture than the rock and roll hall of fame?

6. Ben - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM

That’s a pretty “meh” list. Except for Public Enemy.

• nolanwiffle - Dec 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I thought this was the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame….

7. denbish - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM

This whole posting should have been rethought before hitting enter….

8. kappy32 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Compared to last year, headlined by Guns n Roses & Red Hot Chili Peppers, this list sucks. I bet you HBO won’t be making a special this year.

9. danaking - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM

The R&R HOF is meaningless until Tower of Power and Dick Dale (King of the Surf Guitar) receive recognition.

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I was with you for the up until you said “until”.

• thinman61 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM

So Dick Dale is Roger Maris?

• pmcenroe - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Tower of Power will never get in because of their PED use (Victor Conte) :-)

10. vallewho - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM

BIG yawn!

11. cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

YES! Rush is in. Ha! Take THAT, Calcaterra! I only wish you’d threatended to eat your hat if they got in. I’d air mail you some mustard. Now, stand back because I’m going to channel my inner ‘cepts for this one: You Rush haters can suck donkey ballz. You’re all a bunch of Venezuelan/Dominican kidnappers anyways. Rush was the greatest American Band EVER and if you say other wise well go suck a bag of dicks.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahaahahahahahaaaaaaa……..

• qcubed3 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Rush is from Canada.

Now, quoting my Louis C.K., how do you want me to suck the bag of dicks? Should I suck on the outside of the bag, or do you want me to suck each dick individually. And, how did you get this bag of dicks in the first place?

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM

New here , eh?

• sophiethegreatdane - Dec 12, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Cur was being ironic saying that Rush was American. He was doing his best impression of a banned poster who would say such things and never admit he was wrong, even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

• indaburg - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Confession time. Yesterday, I was soooo happy about the Shields-Myers trade that I found myself humming to… RUSH. Clearly, I was delirious.

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Ha! Well, y’know Wil Meyers could well be today’s Tom Sawyer.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I’m so, so, so disappointed. I have no words.

• indaburg - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Yep. I was humming Rush without noticing.

I noticed you mentioned bread pudding in other part of this discussion thread. This past weekend, I went to a Christmas party. For dessert, we were all served a plate with chocolate cake, creme brûlée, and bread pudding. I chuckled when I saw what was being served (if it had been pie instead of creme brûlée, I would have died laughing). Afterwards, I looked around surreptitiously at everybody’s plate to conduct an unscientific survey. Guess what was left over on everyone’s plate? Bread pudding. Because it’s awful. I tasted it to try to keep an open mind. It was mushy. No likey. Bread pudding ain’t gonna happen.

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Hum the tune then. Its working for ‘burg.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Ok, I have to stop talking to you people, you CAKEHEADS!!!

Ack! Ack! Pffft! Gah!

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Rush < Styx

12. qcubed3 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Whenever I think of Rush, I think of this scene from SLC Punk (NSFW for some mild language):

“Rush is a very good band. Their music is very complex . . .”

• schlom - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I was thinking more of this for Rush:

• bravojawja - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM

And then the van has Caress of Steel airbrushed on the side.

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Whenever I think of SLC Punk, I think of drawing a warm bath and taking a razor to my wrist to erase the memory of that awful turd of a film.

I think the “only posers die!” line is one of the most cringe-worthy moments in film history. It’s right up there with Ben Affleck writing “Angst for the memories” to his ex girlfriend on the restaurant window in Glory Daze.

13. kkolchak - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:24 PM

C’mon, Rush is FAR more deserving than Heart. The latter had about a four year career peak in the 70s marred by accusations of stealing from Led Zeppelin (who had a few problems in that area themselves) and then came back briefly in the mid-80s as a vacuous video pop band. In fact, I’d compare Rush to Ernie Banks for their longevity and consistency of play.

• contraryguy - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Ditto. Rush always gets a lot of snark from people who don’t understand their work. They’re big baseball fans, too, for what that’s worth.

Heart, on the other hand, is more like Jose Canseco. Some big hits for a short while, accompanied by backstage/off-field drama.

• kevinbnyc - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I understand that I find Geddy Lee’s voice really annoying. I don’t need anything other than that.

• bravojawja - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Yeah, I don’t get Heart’s induction, either. If you let in Heart, you’ll end up with Bad Company, Foreigner, Boston, and the rest of the classic rock radio ilk.

Rush, though, should have gotten in when they were first eligible. I blame Jann Wenner.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Part of the Heart deal is that it was a significant band fronted by a woman (women) — which is still pretty rare in rock. Bands with female singers still aren’t the headliners, often. This is one of those deep divides between pop and rock. The video pop band thing was so much a part of that because male rockers don’t have to trade on their sexuality in the same way (not that many of them don’t — but they don’t *have* to as a rule) — and, of course, face the same criticism about their weight. For some of us, that gender divide still stings, and Heart represents a milestone.

14. yyzd - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM

The R&R HOF is just a popularity contest, which happens to abandon any sort of proper criteria that would ultimately determine success to most music fans.

15. basiltharat - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Donna Summer: Ron Santo — a completely deserving inductee who tragically won’t be around to enjoy her moment. In other words, too effing late, a–holes.

I’m a little bitter.

16. jwbiii - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Albert King was great when he played, but he always spent a significant amount of his on-stage time griping about the sound system. Can’t hear the monitors? The mix is wrong? What were you doing during sound check?

17. makeham98 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Randy Newman is more like Don Sutton. Worst pitcher ever enshrined.

18. mrchainbluelightning - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Neil Peart
    Nuff said

19. randygnyc - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Complete rubbish. There’s not an interesting name on that list.

Craig, here’s another Randy Newman fact for you, he’s a known and notorious anti-Semite.

• yahmule - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

-Citation needed-

• dprat - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Uh, yeah, citation definitely needed. First, Newman is of Russian Jewish descent on his father’s side, per Wiki. That doesn’t in itself prove anything, but still… And second, a very, very fast search shows not an inkling of this “fact” on that internet, which is kinda odd if it were “known and notorious.”

But I’ll play… randygnyc is a known and notorious idiot. Or liar. Or both.

Citation: comment above.

20. yahmule - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Albert King was one of the Four Kings, along with B.B, Freddie and Earl. He was a big influence on Hendrix, Clapton, Vaughn and just about every other blues based rock star of the last half century. He deserves enshrinement for “Born Under a Bad Sign” alone. He is probably the greatest musician on this list, almost certainly the most influential, and it’s a shame he wasn’t enshrined 20 years ago when he was still alive.

21. ashoreinhawaii - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Lets take Heart and not Rush to judgement over who will be King as the Newman in the Hall of Fame.
    We have until Summer to decide who has to endure a trip to Cleveland
    (land of the burning river as immortalized in the Randy Newman song).
    Apologies to the people of Cleveland – don’t want to be a Public Enemy there.

22. ashoreinhawaii - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM

We have until Summer to decide who has to endure a trip to Cleveland
    (land of the burning river, immortalized in the Randy Newman song, Burn On).
    Apologies to the people of Cleveland – don’t want to be a Public Enemy there.

23. wtfruthinkn - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Hey Craig, better stick to baseball. The rock HOF is a joke and means nothing. The MLB HOF is not. Cool music doesn’t seem to be your area of expertise.

24. padraighansen - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:02 PM

You know, when you consider that Rush’s sales place them third behind The Beatles& The Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band, it’s pretty hard to make the Jim Rice comparison, don’t you think? I’d actually make them more like Harmon Killebrew – until you actually sit back and look at the numbers and the impact they’ve made, etc., their name doesn’t roll right off the tongue the way others (Beatles, Stones, Ruth, Mantle, Aaron, etc.) do. Congrats to them. And for the record, if you were going to put a band in the Jim Rice category, I’d say that’s Kiss. Still hard to believe Kiss & Deep Purple aren’t in….

25. noozehound - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM

the fuck do you mean Rush isn’t deserving? they’ve been recording music since ’68. Sure as hell more deserving than Public Enemy.

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Yeah man! Fight the power!

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM

25 Canadians CAN be wrong.

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:42 PM

We can be wrong, yes. BUT we so slick from all that seal blubber that we hard to pin down.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Don’t worry, no one wants to catch you. Get on with your Rush and your blubber rage.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS