Dec 11, 2012, 3:04 PM EDT
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has officially announced next year’s inductees: Rush, Public Enemy, Heart, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Albert King
There’s no baseball news right now, so let’s find their baseball analogs:
Rush: Jim Rice. Really not deserving, but their supporters are so vocal and such pains in the butt that at some point it’s just easier to let them in than leave them out. Not sure if Boston has a lot of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame support, but they’d be Jack Morris.
Public Enemy: Sandy Koufax. Burned brighter than anyone but only for a short while. “Yo! Bum Rush The Show,” “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back,” “Fear of a Black Planet” and “Apocalypse 91″ are like Koufax’s 1963-66.
Heart: Ernie Banks. Not in overall greatness — Banks was of higher quality — but in terms of having two very distinct careers. “Barracuda” era Heart is Ernie Banks the shortstop. “These Dreams” Heart is first baseman Ernie Banks. The latter is OK — a guilty pleasure, even — but we would not be talking about their greatness if only the second half existed.
Randy Newman: I’ll admit, I only really know Randy Newman for “Short People,” “I Love L.A.” and his movie work. A lot of his stuff, I gather, especially songwriting for others, is really high quality. I’m just ignorant. So consider me to be one of the jerkier, willfully ignorant Hall of Fame voters circa 2004 and consider Newman my Bert Blyleven.
Donna Summer: An unfairly- judged representative of an era which everyone now says they hated but we all loved at the time and don’t you pretend we didn’t. So, of course, she’s Jeff Bagwell.
Albert King: I don’t know much about his career, but according to his Wikipedia entry his nickname was “The Velvet Bulldozer,” and that should get him in the Hall of Fame in and of itself. Dick “Dr. Strangeglove” Stuart? I’m sure that’s totally unfair to King, but I don’t have a ton of time to check his stuff out right now. Anyone who wants to hip us to King’s bonafides in the comments, by all means do so.
When does baseball season start again?
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)