The other Hall of Fame inductees announced

Dec 11, 2012, 3:04 PM EDT

Rush

Rock and Roll, that is:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has officially announced next year’s inductees: Rush, Public Enemy, Heart, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Albert King

There’s no baseball news right now, so let’s find their baseball analogs:

Rush: Jim Rice.  Really not deserving, but their supporters are so vocal and such pains in the butt that at some point it’s just easier to let them in than leave them out. Not sure if Boston has a lot of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame support, but they’d be Jack Morris.

Public Enemy: Sandy Koufax. Burned brighter than anyone but only for a short while. “Yo! Bum Rush The Show,” “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back,” “Fear of a Black Planet” and “Apocalypse 91″ are like Koufax’s 1963-66.

Heart: Ernie Banks. Not in overall greatness — Banks was of higher quality — but in terms of having two very distinct careers. “Barracuda” era Heart is Ernie Banks the shortstop. “These Dreams” Heart is first baseman Ernie Banks. The latter is OK — a guilty pleasure, even — but we would not be talking about their greatness if only the second half existed.

Randy Newman: I’ll admit, I only really know Randy Newman for “Short People,” “I Love L.A.” and his movie work. A lot of his stuff, I gather, especially songwriting for others, is really high quality. I’m just ignorant. So consider me to be one of the jerkier, willfully ignorant Hall of Fame voters circa 2004 and consider Newman my Bert Blyleven.

Donna Summer: An unfairly- judged representative of an era which everyone now says they hated but we all loved at the time and don’t you pretend we didn’t. So, of course, she’s Jeff Bagwell.

Albert King: I don’t know much about his career, but according to his Wikipedia entry his nickname was “The Velvet Bulldozer,” and that should get him in the Hall of Fame in and of itself.  Dick “Dr. Strangeglove” Stuart? I’m sure that’s totally unfair to King, but I don’t have a ton of time to check his stuff out right now. Anyone who wants to hip us to King’s bonafides in the comments, by all means do so.

When does baseball season start again?

117 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. sportsdrenched - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Unlike cur, I will not bite on Craig’s blatant trolling of Rush fans. If you don’t like them, that’s your problem and I feel sorry for you.

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I’m bored, man. If there was any baseball to talk about, I’d be on it. But I said what I think about the MY trade, halladaysbicepts, RA Dickey, and now Rush. What else is left? Might as well be trolled. Why let the Phans have all the phun? So, unless the Mighty Beav make a move, its pretty slim pickins. This is why ‘cepts should be unbanned for the post season. This place would be ROCKING with the arguments.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Oh, I’d say Craig was being too kind. Rush = Tim McCarver…and not in his playing days. institutional/institutionalize

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM

That statement is like saying you feel sorry for me because a hobo got to poop in your mouth, but my mouth remains hobo-poop free. Because Ruth is the musical equivalent of hobo-poop in your mouth.

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Man. That’s cold. Colder than the crack about McCarver. Why do you hate The Babe so much? He’s been dead a long time. Whatever it is, just let it go.

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Hmm…it does appear that my attempts to diss on Rush were foiled by my own faulty typing abilities.

…though I’ll stand by my statement, typo and hall. Had Babe Ruth made music, it likely would have been terrible.

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

“…though I’ll stand by my statement, typo and hall”

Fuck, this is getting embarrassing.

• mattraw - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Rush are so clearly deserving, the arguments to the contrary are just nonsense. Thus, they are Tim Raines.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I discount your argument because you think Rush is plural.

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Bread pudding people = petty

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Check your spelling. “Pretty” has an “r.”

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Right you are. I amend it thus: Pretty petty.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM

nice

• proudlycanadian - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Not only are they deserving, they are big fans of the Blue Jays.

• indaburg - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Rush deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. They’ve been around forever, they’re technically skilled, and their music is influential. I was biased against them for many years, but recently gave them a re-listen, and yeah, they’re pretty good.

2. bravojawja - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Geddy is a huge fantasy baseball fan. His league uses a few dozen metrics, not just the standard 4×4 or 5×5. I don’t know how the hell he can stay on top of it on the road.

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I’ve seen that guy, sing, play bass AND keyboard all at once. He can do it.

• sportsdrenched - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Wait you’re saying you’ve seen him sing, play bass & keyboard AND update his Fantasy Baseball team all at once?

• cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Possibly. He might have been updating, too. Simply an amazing talent

• nukeladouche - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Get out your old Signals album. Somewhere in there (can’t remember if it was the back cover or the insert or where) are the architectural plans for a school named after Warren Cromartie – who remembers him?

In 1984, at about the time when Grace Under Pressure was released, Geddy was interviewed about the new album. At one point he said he thought Detroit looked strong that year, said he was going out on a limb in predicting a WS win for them. . . . Sure enough, the Tigers won it all that year.

The RUSH baseball connections alone ought to ensure them some love on this forum.

3. loungefly74 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:13 PM

holy crap…thank you for reminding me that this site is only good for baseball stuff…but nice stab at your music IQ…

Rush is freaking awesome. They put on a great show and been kick ass since the 1970’s. the R&R is trash and has a political agenda. Neil Peart is regarded as the greatest living drummer…Alex and Geddy are maestros at what they do. countless of awesome bands source Rush as a major influence. heck…i can rattle off a long list of bands that should not have been inducted before Rush. and i get it, Rush is one of those bands where ya either love or hate…but to deny the quality is just obtuse.

and I know my sh*t…been going to concerts for over 20 years…seen over 200 major shows of all genres.

4. vikesfansteve - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM

So Rush bent you over like Morris did to the Braves, bitter jilted little girl.

5. APBA Guy - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM

R & R HoF makes for some nice off season nonsense chatter, but my 2 cents-showing my age- is that I saw Donna Summer live in 1981. Remember in 1979 she’d sold about 30% of all records sold in the US. Two years later, she was doing 75% full at Meriweather Post in Columbia, MD. Tickets were available, in other words.

And what a fabulous show. Great vocals, she wasn’t doing blow anymore so she could remember all the words and only needed one break, and the band was happening so everybody was up and dancing. Great time.

So I think of her as Roger Maris: for 1 year, 1979, she was better than everyone else.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:33 PM

She loves to love you, baby.

6. digbysellers - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

The guy in Rush looks like Kiefer Sutherlands real dad.

7. bigmacmantle - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

“Randy Newman … and his movie work. ”

This is a baseball blog and you don’t even mention Newman’s score for The Natural and his songs used in Major League and Mr. 3000 (okay maybe better to not list that one)?

• thumper001 - Dec 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Not to mention, “I Love LA”, which has played regularly at Dodgers Stadium for years.

Many Randy Newman tunes are like a worm the mojo woman puts in your ear. Once they get in there, you just cannot seem to get them out.

Take for instance, “It’s A Jungle Out There”. The theme song played during the opening credits of the old TV series, Monk. The song droned on as Mr. Monk went through a long series of his many OCD routines, before the week’s episode finally took over in earnest.

Bet you can hear it now, huh? bruhahaha. Worm…ear…mojo woman. Can you hear me now? lol.

8. braddavery - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I usually enjpy Craig’s takes on baseball. But saying that Rush isn’t deserving of ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame induction when 75% of the “artists” in the RNR HOF aren’t even ROCK AND ROLL is one of the lamest and stupidest things I have ever seen him say. Sorry, Craig, but monumental fail here.

9. JB (the original) - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

So, who gets to play the eff-ed over Deep Purple? Christ on a crutch, what kind of “rock and roll” HoF puts a disco queen in, yet not one of the founding bands of heavy/hard rock?

Piazza?

• hcf95688 - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Deep Purple is Pete Rose? Did Ritchie Blackmore get banned?

10. philliesblow - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Craig, maybe you don’t like Rush, but they deserve better than your commentary just based on this:

• nukeladouche - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Great story about Geddy and the donation of those old autographed baseballs to the Negro Leagues Museum. Except that in the first line of the story the author calls him a “Canadian punk rocker.”

I would suggest that Geddy’s bass playing, and RUSH’s music in general, is about as far removed from punk rock as you can get, but I suppose this is what happens when baseball writers try their hand at writing about music.

11. hushbrother - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Rush would be Jim Rice if they had disbanded in 1989. There’s no way a group with the stability and longevity of Rush can be compared to a short-career player like Rice. They really have no MLB parallel. Clearly this is just a dumb exercise by the blogger.

12. lumpyf - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM

You’re embarrassing yourself, Calcaterra. Stick to baseball.

13. hughhansen - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I was working on an analogy with Rush as the sabermetric revolution (they’re geeks, even after people admitted they had talent they still didn’t like them, they finally get the recognition they deserve but the regular morons still say they suck, etc.), but it doesn’t quite work.

Rush is more like some marginal / polarizing thing, like Vegemite or the Rocky Horror Picture Show, where some people swear by it while most don’t like it.

They’re my favorite band, and I’m pretty thrilled that they’re still making music and that I get to see them live.

• larrytsg - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Ah, I like where you’re going here…. I might say that Rush is like White Castle Hamburgers….. regionally poular, regionally unheard of. And of course, nobody is ever neutral about White Castle…. you either love ‘em or hate ‘em.

Me? I like both White Castle AND Rush!

14. themagicfanguy - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Albert King is one of the all-time greats. Good to see him finally get a little respect. What’s sad is that the majority of commenters on here don’t seem to realize who he is at all :(

• pepefreeus - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

If you want a baseball analogy, Albert is Willie Stargell. A great player and man who deeply influenced a whole group of talented people who carried his work forward.

• deepstblu - Dec 12, 2012 at 6:43 AM

I might slot Albert as a Negro Leagues selection–a great talent revered by other players, but mostly existing in a realm poorly understood by (if not unknown to) the casual fan.

• thumper001 - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Amen.

Albert King was the real thing, a living connection to one of the 3 great primal american music forms; jazz, country, and the blues. Albert didn’t hear the blues on vinyl records, mimic the sound, dress up like a pretty schoolboy (no offence intended), and re-import the blues back to America like the Brits did back in the 60s; he created them himself. Original.

Albert walked the long road up from the Mississippi Delta during the Great Migration, playing for his room and board, and into the begining of the great shape of things to come in Chicago (Jimmy Reed was one of Albert’s first hookups in Chicago. Jimmy Reed played with and was a peer of Elmore James. So there ya go for Blues bona fides). Authentic.

His hands were made strong, and blessed with precision and endurance from being born, and working, picking cotton all day from a very early age, on a cotton plantation. And what made him strong, also set him free, walking that long road to Chicago, refining his craft in every little bar, roadhouse, dump, and dive in the many points in between. On a guitar he made himself. Eternal.

The Blues are a living artform, and no vinyl, CD, or DVD can hold them. One must experience them “live”. Here’s Albert live at the Fillmore East in 1970 (he already had 30+ years of experience at this point):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw-kPkdrajU (look at almost every bill/poster from the old Fillmore days. One of the names you will almost always see….Albert King)

(hear the horns? That influence is from Albert’s days with Stax Records in Memphis (early Stax), working with Booker T and the MGs (before Green Onions), i.e., Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn (post 1964), et al. So there is Albert’s connection to the soul side; playing with Otis Redding, Wilson Picket, Sam and Dave, et al, while at Stax).

Frankly, screw the R&R HoF. We don’t need their seal of approval to appreciate Albert King and the many others. Besides, they were much too late in askin.

(note: a Chess Records legend, Howlin Wolf, paid homage to the Migration in a great blues offering called Highway 49. The most infamous crossroads of old America, where Highway 61 crosses Highway 49 in Clarksdale, Miss. Where Robert Johnson made his deal with the devil…

Here’s the wolf, howling in 1971 (with eric clapton, the rhythm section from the Stones, and others): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjFFSqGa5s )

15. sirrealrainman - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Congrats RUSH! About freakin’ time!
    Ignore Calcaterra, he’s on some kind of Witch Hunt.

16. hojo20 - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Donna Summer = Ron Santo ……elected soon after passing away.

17. indaburg - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Did anyone else catch the irony of using the greatest Jewish pitcher of all time to represent a band known for anti-semitic statements, Public Enemy? I greatly enjoy Public Enemy’s music (their collaboration with Anthrax on Bring the Noise is one of my all time favorite songs) but I didn’t agree with everything they said.

18. Jonny 5 - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Albert King is one of the finest guitar players of all time. Albert is one of the finest blues men of all time. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendrix looked up to this man, he trained them as youngsters, and he outlived them both too.

If you have “like a virgin” or any other Madonna in your MP3 player as opposed to say Albert King “Stormy Monday” or Blues at sunrise like I posted above, you just have a hole in your soul. Albert always said “If you don’t dig the blues you got a hole in your soul.” I think he may be right. ;>P

• thumper001 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Great post man.

If folks want a baseball analogy for Albert King, there is one, and only one, candidate that best represents Albert; Satchel Paige. By the time Satchel got to play in the bigs, he was in his 40s, and most of baseball never got to see the man in his prime. Even into his 40s, Satchel was still a stud frontline pitcher.

Same with Albert. The 60s generation brought Albert back into the forefront, but most, never got to hear the man in his prime, where it was rumored on some nights, in those old dives and dumps, he either touched the hand of god or the devil. Nobody was sure which, but they all let the good times roll, driven by the incredible sounds and soul of the velvet bulldozer.

(note: Albert was lefthanded and played a right handed guitar, upside down (one of the first to play a Gibson Flying V, btw). The next man up doing that on the big stage? Jimi Hendrix, a student of Albert’s music, one of many in a long line of Albert proteges)

• Jonny 5 - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Well, hope you get this. Albert and Jimi both played right handed guitars with one major difference. Jimi strung his guitar like a left handed guitar by giving it LH hardware. So essentially it’s a left handed guitar. Albert on the other hand took a Right handed guitar, strung right handed and flipped it to his left hand. He plays with the Low E string on the bottom instead of the top like everyone else. Think about the implications of using different fingers to hit notes than everyone else. He was great, and very difficult to mimick. I always saw Jimi playing with the low e on top like normal folk.

• thumper001 - Dec 13, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Appreciate the comeback.

From early on, Hendrix just changed the string order to run low E on top (without rekitting the hardware, except for moving the strap button to the lower strat body horn). The problem with that is, it’s still not a proper “left hander”, as it reverses the tonal qualities on the Strat bridge pickup (so the bass strings were read as bright, and the high strings as mellow, making his sound even more unique).

Here’s a picture that clearly shows his Fender Stratocaster, rigged upside down (notice the whammy bar is loose, and hanging over the bridge. On a standard body, the whammy bar goes on the bottom, toward the pic guard. Given the pickup kit is a fixed molding, there is really no way to retrofit a righthand body with a lefthand pickup kit, as it would not align over the body cutouts properly, as a Strat body is asymetric). We can tell from this pic, as he is playing thumb-over style (to cover bass), that he strung low E on top.

ref: http://www.last.fm/music/Jimi+Hendrix/+images/194001

From the UTube you posted with Albert and SRV, it’s clear Albert is playing “backwards”. And I would never argue or doubt for a second the ability of Albert King. I completely understand, as playing the string order upside down, completely changes the chord shapes/positions that most players can form in their sleep, especially running 4 finger chords with augmented 7ths or 9ths, typically covered with the little finger. That requires a massive and powerful hand to pull that off backwards.

(speaking of “playing in one’s sleep, ever seen this little gem?

Freaking tasty, no? That’s the Vaughn brothers doing a duet on the same guitar, LOL)

19. blazertop - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Rush is not deserving? HA, the stupid RRHOF is not deserving of them!

20. stevietimmy - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Stick to your day job.

21. schmedley69 - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Craig, your taste in music is about as good as your taste in baseball teams. RUSH and Boston just happen to be my two favorite bands, and both deserve to be in the HOF. Just like the baseball HOF, the Rock and Roll HOF voting is very subjective. It’s a travesty that RUSH had to wait so long to get in, and when they finally do, they are treated as second banana to hard core “rock ‘n rollers” like Donna Summer and Public Enemy. The Rock ‘n Roll HOF is a complete joke.

• nukeladouche - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Boston had a great first album, a lousy second album, then did nothing for like 10 years and released a decent comeback album (Third Stage) that was lighter than their earlier rocking stuff. Not sure who that makes them. Maybe Rick Ankiel?

• schmedley69 - Dec 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Donna Summer had a few Disco hits during a small period of time, and she gets in? I think Boston’s resume blows hers away.

I wonder how Dr. Johnny Fever feels about a Disco singer getting into the Rock ‘n Roll HOF?

22. zebbers - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM

You suck at music. GTFO!

23. acdc363 - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

slc punk is the shit

24. louhudson23 - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM

The blues had a baby and they named it Rock and Roll. Albert King is Mays/Aaron level. Albert was King for many decades. Clapton,Hendrix,Vaughan and literally thousands of others learned from him and his songs are blues standards recorded by countless artists….http://youtu.be/wdDRCIEEZ3w

25. steelturf76 - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM

If Rush isn’t deserving of being in the R&RHOF then nobody deserves to be in there!!! Other than ZZ Top, there hasn’t been a trio that has put as great of music as Rush has. All the sound, all the rhythm, all the energy they have created is made by THREE (3) people, not a full 4 or 5 member band. And to say that Public Enemy is more deserving of hall honors over KISS and Deep Purple completely baffles me.

• nolanwiffle - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM

The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream to name two.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate