The Phillies discussed a Domonic Brown for Alfonso Soriano trade

Dec 11, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT

Alfonso Soriano AP

This isn’t happening, it seems. But it was discussed, and if it had happened it would have been pretty spiffy for a number of reasons: Jon Heyman reports that the Phillies talked to the Cubs about a straight-up deal of Domonic Brown for Alfonso Soriano.

Man, imagine this one a couple of years ago when Soriano was considered the most expensive dead carcass of a ballplayer and Brown was still considered an up and coming prospect. Then Brown continued to struggle and Soriano, while still never being worth his contract — he’s owed $36 million over the next two seasons — had a decent year last year. And, more importantly, the Cubs seem willing to pay a lot to unload him.

Pretty close to a challenge trade: is there enough left if Soriano and enough time for Brown to realize his once great potential? Such a deal would probably scare Cubs and Phillies fans, but for the rest of us it would be pretty fascinating.

1. mdpickles - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Neither can hit, neither can field. Sounds like a trade of zeroes.

• auggie1955 - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Soriano was actually very good defensively last season commiting only one error and having a fielding pct of ..996. The Cubs 1st base coach, Dave McKay, who left the Cards after LaRussa retired, worked with Soriano to improve his defense.

2. 13arod - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM

sounds like a stupied trade soriono needs to get traded for a better player tampa needs to get him

3. drmonkeyarmy - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM

This is ridiculous. Phillies are suppose to get younger not keep trading for old dudes. Furthermore, I am a firm believer that it would be foolish to give up on Dom Brown now. I know many a Phillie phan is down on him but I still see greatness in his future.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Chase Utley at age 24: 152 PA, 2HR, 21RBI, 22K, 11BB, .239/.322/.373 OPS .696, OPS+ 87
      Dom Brown at age 24: 212 PA, 5HR, 26 RBI, 34 K, 21BB, .235/.316/.396 OPS .712, OPS+ 91

• Jeremy Fox - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:04 PM

That’s a fun comparison, I’d never have guessed that.

• tsi431 - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Let’s not cherry pick numbers. Utley’s true number’s at age 24 were
        490 PA, 18 HR, 77 RBI, 75 K, 41BB, .323/.390/.517 OPS .907

This, of course, were his Minor League numbers. He was a part time call up in the MLB that year. You don’t want to compare any of Brown’s Milb numbers to Utley’s.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Why? Brown’s best season at AAA trumps Utley’s best season at AAA. The entire comparison is fair insofar as batting in concerned.

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Utley was also a 2nd baseman, where offense is scarce. Brown is a corner outfielder, where it most certainly is not.

a .696 OPS from a 2nd baseman is much more valuable than a .696 OPS from a right fielder.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I made no comment as to positional value. I was merely pointing out the developmental process of a hitter. Also, putting up numbers like Utley did in his prime is plenty valuable no matter what position one plays.

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Yes, but there is a key difference. A team can suffer a .696 OPS at second base while awaiting a player to develop and adjust. Most teams can’t absorb a corner outfielder putting up such menial offensive numbers.

4. threeskis - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Phils make offer for Hamilton….true ?

5. thekingdave - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Lol at Phillies fans telling me they wouldn’t do Brown for Pence straight up in 2011

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Yeah, I wouldn’t of done Brown for Pence straight up in 2011. I was saying so at the time and still think that today. Pence is terrible and expensive.

• xmatt0926x - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Agreed. Pence comes off smelling like a rose as most players on championship teams do, but give it a while. That smell will come through. Love his attitude and all and you always root for nice guys to do well but he is way more myth than the real deal. A hard lesson learned by many Phillies fans after Ruben traded away the farm for him.

6. xmatt0926x - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I have given up on Brown, at least to the extent of him being a star player. That being said I want no parts of Soriano. If he was the one gamble in a good lineup then maybe. The problem is that you are already gambling on Michael Young, possibly Ruff, gambling that Utley can stay healthy, gambling that Howard can come back to some extent. Too many questions for me. The Phils need a solid player in the outfield. I’m not a huge Cody Ross guy but I’d rather see him then Soriano. Don’t get me wrong. There is a sick part of me that shares non-Phillies fan interests in the entertainment that would be provided by this insane experiment. Imagine the defense on the left side of the field provided by Young and Soriano. Good lord. I’d be sick and fascinated as a Phillies fan at the same time. It’s like looking at a classic mustang on a shitty used car lot. You know there must be a reason it’s on that crappy lot and you dread the likely break down at 3 in the morning on a dark highway, but man, if you can get 1 good year out of it…….

7. xmatt0926x - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM

This all reminds me of how close the Phillies were to signing Soriano as a free agent before the Cubs got him. I seem to remember that they gave him a huge offer but he picked the Cubs. It’s interesting how the fortunes of both teams might have been different had he picked the Phillies back then. I don’t know how much better the Cubs would be overall but that contract has hampered them a lot.

8. Francisco (FC) - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM

The Brown situation is entirely the fault of the front office due to all the yo-yoing they did and hampering his development. Because of the win now mode Dom wasn’t allowed the usual growing pains. Management has practically ruined him.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, they kinda screwed him over. Rushed him up at 22 when he wasn’t ready. I think it hampered his confidence. I truly think he will come good this season though. I don’t think he will ever be a 35 HR guy but I can see him hitting like 20 with a bunch of doubles and high OBP. Probably never a superstar but a 3.5-4.0 WAR guy. Like a Bobby Abreu type with slightly less power. I know most will disagree but I just have a hunch.

• deepstblu - Dec 12, 2012 at 6:56 AM

And the sad thing is, the Phillies had a whole lousy history of doing the same thing to young players back in the ’80s. Rick Schu, John Russell, Bob Dernier, Jeff Stone…bring ‘em up, play ‘em for a while, sit ‘em, send ‘em back to AAA, bring ‘em back but don’t play ‘em…and wonder why none of them worked out. I guess institutional memory is too much to ask for.

9. mojosmagic - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:50 PM

No matter what the stats say some guys when you add it all up are just losers. Soriano is a loser and I don’t want any part of him.

• Jeremy Fox - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

No matter what the stats say? Really? You mean, if Soriano had hit like Babe Ruth, he’d still be a loser?

• mojosmagic - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Gee I don’t want Soriano on my team and I get unloaded on by Cub fans. Obviously talking about prettty good stats SORIANO puts up every year. I don’t like the guy! OK

10. somekat - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Phils make this trade, and only pick up 5 mil per, then sign Hamilton. Lineup of Revere/Utley/Hamilton/Howard/Soriano/Rollins/Young/Catcher til Ruiz is back, then slide Young to 8. You can flip Soriano and hamilton if you want to break up the left handed bats.

Not a long term lineup, but a very good one. With Utley/Soriano/Rollins/Young all done in the next 2 years, they’d be in position to spend if they need to to replace these guys. Not to mention they should then get a big infusion with the local TV deal.

I’m not sold that Brown isa bust, but I’m not sold that he isn’t either. If I’m the Phils, and I think I have a shot at Hamilton. I try to pull this off. Throw in a mid level pitcher if need be. But if you don’t think you can get Hamilton and go all in, I wouldn’t have much interest in this.

• fighterflea - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Hamilton yes. Soriano no. Actually, if the Phils manage to sign Hamilton, then their outfield work is done and they can turn attention to the pitching needs.

11. deep64blue - Dec 12, 2012 at 6:22 AM

I already think RAJ has lost his mind with signing Michael Young but this just confirms it. Guess I’ll be watching a lot of Ray’s baseball next year ……

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4954)