Dec 11, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
This isn’t happening, it seems. But it was discussed, and if it had happened it would have been pretty spiffy for a number of reasons: Jon Heyman reports that the Phillies talked to the Cubs about a straight-up deal of Domonic Brown for Alfonso Soriano.
Man, imagine this one a couple of years ago when Soriano was considered the most expensive dead carcass of a ballplayer and Brown was still considered an up and coming prospect. Then Brown continued to struggle and Soriano, while still never being worth his contract — he’s owed $36 million over the next two seasons — had a decent year last year. And, more importantly, the Cubs seem willing to pay a lot to unload him.
Pretty close to a challenge trade: is there enough left if Soriano and enough time for Brown to realize his once great potential? Such a deal would probably scare Cubs and Phillies fans, but for the rest of us it would be pretty fascinating.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)