The Phillies tried to get Asdrubal Cabrera from the Indians

Dec 11, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

asdrubal cabrera getty Getty Images

I think I like hearing about trades that didn’t happen more than I like hearing about trades that did happen. From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Before the start of the winter meetings last week in Nashville, the two teams were talking about a trade that would have sent shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera to Philadelphia for right-hander Vance Worley and prospects.

The idea would have been to make Cabrera the Phillies’ third baseman. Cleveland wanted more than Worley and whatever else Philly was throwing in. Philly balked and later used the package that would have landed Cabrera to land Ben Revere.

I think I’d much rather have Cabrera’s bat as a shortstop than as a third baseman — there just aren’t a ton of good-hitting shortstops out there — but the Phillies at least filled a hole with Revere.

1. Earl Westlake - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Well, considering how badly Philly fleeced Cleveland in the Cliff Lee deal a few years back, I’m not surprised the Phillies wanted to talk again.

• andyreidisthegoat - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM

ah yes the trade that propelled philly to multiple championships. wait. what they haven’t won any since the fluke in 2008. you’re kidding. with all of that greatness. yes philly is always fleecing someone on a trade but never winning rings. hillarious.

• tuberippin - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Someone calling out the Phillies for lacking championships in a post about the Cleveland Indians? Those same Cleveland Indians who haven’t won a title since Harry Truman was the President?

• andyreidisthegoat - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

who cares about cleveland. they suck worse than the phils.

• andyreidisthegoat - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM

actually the post is mostly about the phillies.

• Jeremy Fox - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Wow, that’s a remarkably high ratio of stupidity per word in one comment. The idea that a team cannot be said to have won a trade unless said team wins multiple championships. Noting that the Phillies won a championship in 2008 and then two sentences later claiming they’ve “never” done so. Reading a comment that was only about the Cliff Lee deal and interpreting it as a claim that the Phillies are “always” fleecing people. All in less than three lines! In a weird way, I’m impressed. I’m guessing that’s why you had to sacrifice grammar, otherwise it would’ve been impossible to pack the stupidity so densely?

• andyreidisthegoat - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Jeremy, how can I compete with you. You seem so smart. beings alls goods with the grammar and stuff. Stop by and I’ll show you my medical degree some day slim.

• mntreehugger - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM

That frightens me about the state of our medical establishment if that indeed is the case.

• andyreidisthegoat - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM

don’t be scared. i’m actually very good. i just enjoy a little mindless banter every so often and philly fans are a great resource for that.

2. greymares - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I’m thinking their intentions were more to move Cabrera for Justin Upton

3. negadelphian - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

astute observation greymare. Craig would never imagine that the Phils and RAJ actually had a plan.

4. negadelphian - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Astute observation greymare. Craig would never imagine that the Phils and RAJ had a plan.

5. blantoncollier - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I think the bigger question is do the Indians have a plan? Or even better, do the Dolan’s have a clue?

6. siftin thru nonsense - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

“I think I’d much rather have Cabrera’s bat as a shortstop than as a third baseman” I think I’d rather have his bat than Michael Young’s bat. Hits twice as many or more homers as Young. I’d much rather have Asdrubel than Young. Damn.

• Jeremy Fox - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Ok, but then how do you propose the Phils plug their hole in CF? I mean that as an honest question. In a vacuum, I’d much rather have Cabrera than Young too. But is Revere+Young for what the Phils gave up in those two deals worse than, say, Cabrera + Bourn, given how much more the Phils would have to pay for Cabrera + Bourn?

7. camview - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Look at Cabrera, then think about another former Indian, Carlos Baerga. He is showing all the signs of his becoming fat and lazy. Get rid of him now before he becomes worthless.

• jmgatskiejr - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Damn it. I’m a lifelong Tribe fan and as much as I want to defend Cabrera I can’t. He shows up in spring training heavy and inevitably tails off after the break. If he had the motor of a Kipnis he’d be unstoppable but he doesn’t and there aren’t any signs that is going to change. Lindor is closer than people think and while I think Aviles is overrated and will be exposed this year, Cabrera’s value will never be higher.

8. slammed81 - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM

fluke in 2008… your joking right….mind boggling comment of the day..u can say what u want about multiple titles but 2008 was not a fluke ..unreal

• andyreidisthegoat - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM

how about flukish. yanks were hurt. sox dropped the ball. either one of those teams would have slapped philly around that year. look at 2009. you probably went back to the ws with a better team and the yanks crushed them. lidge was a one year wonder. lots of things lined up for that to happen, but hey, sometimes the best teams don’t win the championship. enjoy your shallow ws victory over a TB team that had no business being there.

• thesportsguru7 - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

A ring is a ring, quit playing your what ifs.

• andyreidisthegoat - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM

agreed. It will always say champ, but probabaly one of the lesser deserved chapionships.

• Joe - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:38 PM

What if the Sox had made it to the WS and lost to the Phils? I mean, it’s possible that the Sox could have “dropped the ball” against the Phils instead of the vastly inferior Rays. Would that have been a legit championship, or just another variety of fluke, since the best team still would have lost? If you think about it, between teams beating teams that had no business being there and teams beating inferior opponents, that pretty much nullifies the legitimacy of every championship.

• phillyphanalysis - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Sweeping us in ’09 would have been crushing us. Plus, since you are doing a bunch of what if’s, if Charlie would have pitched Lee instead of Blanton in game 6, who knows what would have happened.

Bottom line though, there are obviously no bounds to the depth of your idiocy. Anybody else agree?

9. koydetmerforever - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

you’re a troll and an idiot. time to go outside bud.

• andyreidisthegoat - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

yeah, but it is still a weak championship. you know this.

• andyreidisthegoat - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM

do you have a koy detmer jersey? i knew it. you are awesome.

10. andyreidisthegoat - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I just wanted to thank all of the Philly fans for entertaining me on my day off. In between chores and going to the gym, you have given me so many laughs. I love how serious you take your sports. very cute.

11. bippybellito - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Maybe the Phils Front Office is finally realizing what a Diva Jimmy Rollins is. He has ruined the last two + years with his lackadaisical base running and clubhouse demeanor. He has repeatedly disrespected the front office and the manager.

All the trade deadline news to know