Dec 11, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
I think I like hearing about trades that didn’t happen more than I like hearing about trades that did happen. From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Before the start of the winter meetings last week in Nashville, the two teams were talking about a trade that would have sent shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera to Philadelphia for right-hander Vance Worley and prospects.
The idea would have been to make Cabrera the Phillies’ third baseman. Cleveland wanted more than Worley and whatever else Philly was throwing in. Philly balked and later used the package that would have landed Cabrera to land Ben Revere.
I think I’d much rather have Cabrera’s bat as a shortstop than as a third baseman — there just aren’t a ton of good-hitting shortstops out there — but the Phillies at least filled a hole with Revere.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)