Dec 11, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
I think I like hearing about trades that didn’t happen more than I like hearing about trades that did happen. From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Before the start of the winter meetings last week in Nashville, the two teams were talking about a trade that would have sent shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera to Philadelphia for right-hander Vance Worley and prospects.
The idea would have been to make Cabrera the Phillies’ third baseman. Cleveland wanted more than Worley and whatever else Philly was throwing in. Philly balked and later used the package that would have landed Cabrera to land Ben Revere.
I think I’d much rather have Cabrera’s bat as a shortstop than as a third baseman — there just aren’t a ton of good-hitting shortstops out there — but the Phillies at least filled a hole with Revere.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)