Dec 11, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
I think I like hearing about trades that didn’t happen more than I like hearing about trades that did happen. From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Before the start of the winter meetings last week in Nashville, the two teams were talking about a trade that would have sent shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera to Philadelphia for right-hander Vance Worley and prospects.
The idea would have been to make Cabrera the Phillies’ third baseman. Cleveland wanted more than Worley and whatever else Philly was throwing in. Philly balked and later used the package that would have landed Cabrera to land Ben Revere.
I think I’d much rather have Cabrera’s bat as a shortstop than as a third baseman — there just aren’t a ton of good-hitting shortstops out there — but the Phillies at least filled a hole with Revere.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (80)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)