Dec 11, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
I think I like hearing about trades that didn’t happen more than I like hearing about trades that did happen. From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Before the start of the winter meetings last week in Nashville, the two teams were talking about a trade that would have sent shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera to Philadelphia for right-hander Vance Worley and prospects.
The idea would have been to make Cabrera the Phillies’ third baseman. Cleveland wanted more than Worley and whatever else Philly was throwing in. Philly balked and later used the package that would have landed Cabrera to land Ben Revere.
I think I’d much rather have Cabrera’s bat as a shortstop than as a third baseman — there just aren’t a ton of good-hitting shortstops out there — but the Phillies at least filled a hole with Revere.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69