Dec 11, 2012, 6:54 AM EST
1. Tigers fans grumbled about third base coach Gene Lamont sending runners into outs last year.
2. The Tigers make Gene Lamont bench coach and name Tom Brookens third base coach.
3. At the Winter Meetings last week, Jim Leyland said it was because Lamont has leg trouble.
4. In a radio interview yesterday, Brookens said that, in addition to the leg issues, Lamont had an eye problem last year.
5. Yes, you read that correctly, the third base coach had trouble with his eyes. Kinda concerning?
6. When asked, Brookens said of his third base coaching style in the minors: “I like to send guys if I think they got a chance and if they get thrown out, so be it.”
There you are, Tigers fans. I know the holiday season is busy, so there are your talking points in the event you want to get angry about something today.
(Thanks to Allison, who probably shouldn’t be up this early but is anyway, for the heads up)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)