7 of the top 10 Facebook check-ins were at ballparks in 2012

Dec 12, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT

Check in logo

I don’t do the Foursquare thing, but I do use the Facebook Check-in thing sometimes. Almost always at restaurants and bars so that my family can be assured that, yes, I do occasionally leave my home.

Want to know something surprising? Seven of the top ten locations for Facebook check-ins occurred at ballparks last year:

1. Times Square, New York
  2. Disneyland, California
  3. AT&T Park, California
  4. Yankee Stadium, New York
  5. Rangers Ballpark, Texas
  6. Fenway Park, Massachusetts
  7. Dodger Stadium, California
  8. Universal Studios, Florida
  9. Wrigley Field, Illinois
  10. Angel Stadium, California

Which is insane because if there is anywhere I can’t get a good freaking signal it’s at ballparks. But there you are.

(thanks to Melissa D. for the heads up)

1. Francisco (FC) - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

How does that square with Baseball dying?

• frank433 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM

It probably just means that baseball is outdated and the public views these places at antique landmarks that they stop at quickly on their way to the local flea market.

• cktai - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Crowded ballparks is killing baseball. Especially in combination with too much income from TV

• deadeyedesign23 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

To be fair this is because there’s twice as many baseball games than any other sport. Obviously it still means that a ton fo people are going to the games, but if there were 162 football or basketball games this might not be the case.

• a125125125 - Dec 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM

To be fair….the NFL’s TV rating are outrageously high (on a per game basis) because they play so few games. But nobody brings that up when discussing their ratings.

• deadeyedesign23 - Dec 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Well of course, but arguing one false equivalency with another makes no sense.

• okwhitefalcon - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Facebook “check ins” Craig?

Seriously???

What’s next, Coldplay channels on Pandora and Spotify?

This is what should happen to anyone Facebooking, let alone “checking in” at a ballpark or anywhere else for that matter.

Click the link for video via MLB, hilarious.

“Padres Fan Gets Hit By Foul Ball Because Of Mark Zuckerberg

All Travis Decker wanted to do was let his friends know he was at a Padres game. Thanks to Mark Zuckerberg, Travis Decker can tell all his friends that he was at a Padres game. Also thanks to Mark Zuckerberg, Travis Decker can upload the picture of the giant welt he will surely have on his clavicle after he got hit by a foul ball while trying to update his facebook status.”

• echech88 - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Social media = young people.

It is pretty damn relevant for a sport that is considered all but dead amongst young people.

2. vallewho - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I hope more and more people start getting hit in the eye with baseballs as they are “checking-in”.

• frank433 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I had a seat 7 rows from behind the visiting dugout at Comerica Park this season when I took my dad for Fathers day. I could be seen on TV in certain spots and was getting text messages saying so. I would only look at them between innings.

However, a foul ball headed our way (landed about 10 rows back and 20 seats over), and I couldn’t track it. A vendor walked right in my line of sight when the ball was hit and I had the worst feeling knowing the ball was coming toward me and having no idea where it was in the sun.

People are stupid that don’t watch out for the ball (or bat when Josh Hamilton is batting) at the games.

3. xmatt0926x - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM

So it’s not bad enough that people in desperate need of attention have to “check in” on Facebook every fu**ing where they go, but there are people that keep track of this sort of thing? Good God. There’s nothing I need to read more than “uhh….sitting down to dinner at the restaurant” . How about you just try and enjoy your time there with your family or friends and actually stay off facebook for 15 muinutes? The best are the losers who spend their whole family vacations updating facebook on their every move. Ok. I’m done venting about Facebook losers.

• xmatt0926x - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Probably worded that wrong. It’s not using Facebook that is bad, just the people who cant seem to enjoy any aspect of life anymore without needing to let everyone know about it on Facebook. Yeah, get off my lawn.

• historiophiliac - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Sometimes I troll my friends with my check-ins or use them as funnies. One fun one is when I go to the Ballpark in Arlington with my brother (Rangers fan), I check in at the Tigers’ Den. My sister’s house is Laundry Mountain, etc. If you need a good laugh, check in at “my bed” and see how many other people have checked in there.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Philiac: I am ready to check in. Just let me know when/where.

4. vansloot - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I’m guessing that this is because MLB gives users an incentive to check-in through their “MLB At The Ballpark” app. If you check-in so many times (or are in the first X check-ins) you get merchandise.

5. ironmike778 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Well think about it. There are at least 81 home games in each park. No other sport comes anywhere close to that.

6. bayarea510 - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM

If there is one thing to learn from this year it’s that San Francisco Giant fans are good with computers and phones. We hijacked the All Star votes, we got #RallyZito to trend World wide, #SF Giants was the #1 sports team hashtag and At&t had the 3rd highest Facebook check ins…impressive.

7. cosanostra71 - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Quite a few of those Angel Stadium checkins were from me. Go Halos!

8. jimw81 - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM

who’s the mayor of Fenway Park?

9. bjbeliever - Dec 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM

nor should you get reception, stay off Facebook Craig!

10. joeyashwi - Dec 13, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I’m not a huge baseball fan anymore but I’ll say this, at least people can still afford to take their families to the games. NFL, NHL, and NBA are pricing a lot of people out. Baseball has 81 home games a year so they can do cool marketing and promos and I think that makes it fun for people to go.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3090)