Dec 12, 2012, 9:05 AM EDT
The Zeno’s paradox of free agent deals — Ichiro’s imminent deal with the Yankees — continues to draw closer, everyone is saying. The distance to the target has been cut in half again:
#Yankees know they are signing Ichiro, decision is 1 yr, 1 yr with vesting option or 2-yr deal.
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) December 12, 2012
At any given time the deal is not yet struck, yet it always grows closer. Like the Antelope Freeway on the Firesign Theater’s second album.
Yet another contract by the Yankees that will not necessarily commit them to anything beyond 2013. Which, sure, in this case makes sense as it does in Kevin Youkilis‘ case and Hiroki Kuroda‘s. But it is certainly going to make for an interesting season and 2013-14 offseason for Brian Cashman.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)