Dec 12, 2012, 9:05 AM EDT
The Zeno’s paradox of free agent deals — Ichiro’s imminent deal with the Yankees — continues to draw closer, everyone is saying. The distance to the target has been cut in half again:
#Yankees know they are signing Ichiro, decision is 1 yr, 1 yr with vesting option or 2-yr deal.
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) December 12, 2012
At any given time the deal is not yet struck, yet it always grows closer. Like the Antelope Freeway on the Firesign Theater’s second album.
Yet another contract by the Yankees that will not necessarily commit them to anything beyond 2013. Which, sure, in this case makes sense as it does in Kevin Youkilis‘ case and Hiroki Kuroda‘s. But it is certainly going to make for an interesting season and 2013-14 offseason for Brian Cashman.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8