An Ichiro deal continues to draw closer

Dec 12, 2012, 9:05 AM EDT

The Zeno’s paradox of free agent deals — Ichiro’s imminent deal with the Yankees — continues to draw closer, everyone is saying. The distance to the target has been cut in half again:

At any given time the deal is not yet struck, yet it always grows closer. Like the Antelope Freeway on the Firesign Theater’s second album.

Yet another contract by the Yankees that will not necessarily commit them to anything beyond 2013.  Which, sure, in this case makes sense as it does in Kevin Youkilis‘ case and Hiroki Kuroda‘s.  But it is certainly going to make for an interesting season and 2013-14 offseason for Brian Cashman.

1. lazlosother - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Well, as they don’t plan on re-signing Nick Danger I guess Ichiro will have to do. I think next offseason goes like this one, one year stop-gap deals. It’s the after the 2014 season where things will really get interesting, especially if they get under the cap in ’14.

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Last season, he resurrected his career while playing against the Jays. I hope that the Yankees let him sit out several games against the Jays this year.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Lots of guys padded their stats against last year’s Jays pitching. Just a little bit of luck and health should greatly improve that aspect of their team, plus some reinforcements from the south.

• dirtyharry1971 - Dec 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

and i hope you get the window seat in the nursing home, not cause i like you but because i feel bad for you

3. uyf1950 - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I like the idea of potentially giving Ichiro a 2 year deal, of course it depends on the dollars. Just my opinion but if the Yankees do sign Ichiro for 2 years I think you can scratch Granderson from the Yankees roster for 2014 and he will probably be gone this year, maybe before spring training. There might be some legs to those “rumors” that said the Yankees were entertaining trading Granderson.

• cackalackyank - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I would LOVE to see Granderson go, but I don’t think a 2 year deal is in the realm of possibility for anyone this year, and maybe next year too. I think lazlo may have a point about the 14-15 off season though, depends on how Williams, Sanchez etc. develop.

4. jwbiii - Dec 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM

And still closer!

5. anxovies - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM

“If you lived here you’d be home!”

Three legends off to Cooperstown