Dec 12, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
At the beginning of the offseason the Angels shed Ervin Santana and Dan Haren from the payroll, seemingly to prepare to break the bank re-signing Zack Greinke. There were even articles suggesting re-signing Greinke was the entire focus of their offseason plan.
And yet the Angels dropped out of the Greinke bidding weeks before he officially signed a six-year, $147 million deal with the Dodgers and at his introductory press conference in Los Angeles yesterday Greinke revealed that the Angels never really even made a serious run at him:
I’m not mad about it, and I don’t think they’re mad about how I went about things, either. They kept in contact the whole time, but when the details came, we never really got into it much with them.
Greinke’s agent, Casey Close, revealed that the Angels essentially ceased trying to re-sign Greinke “in early November.” They traded for Tommy Hanson on November 30 and signed Joe Blanton on December 5.
All of which suggests that either the Angels never really expected to re-sign Greinke in the first place or dramatically under-estimated what sort of offers he’d get from other teams as a free agent. Either way, they ended up losing Greinke, Haren, and Santana while adding Blanton and Hanson to the rotation.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games