UPDATE: My buzz officially killed on that Josh Hamilton-to-Philly thing.

Dec 12, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT

UPDATE:  Well, this is no fun:

Much rather would have the intrigue, frankly.

Or maybe it’s a red herring …

[Drop it -- ed]

Fine.

1:58 PM: Forgive me for this, but I started watching the BBC series “Sherlock” the other day — I’m on episode five of the six episode run — and it’s pretty much the most amazing thing ever. And affecting. Since I began watching it I can’t meet someone on the street without immediately trying to determine if they have a suntan just below their collar, dog hairs on their pants and whether the their shoes are old but still well taken care of.  Put differently: I’m seeing clues and tells and patterns in everything right now and I see no sign of it stopping.

As such, I find this little clue — passed along by Halladay’s Bicepts, who I am not at all prepared to make my Dr. Watson even if he has been helpful these past few days — to be most interesting. A removed page from the Dallas Morning News. Check the URL. Specifically, the “could be done tonight” part:

source:

Hmm.

My abductive reasoning — and Holmes, Darryl Zero and all of my heroes use abductive, rather than deductive reasoning despite what they say — tells me that someone with the Morning News knows something. And had a story about it, however, briefly, before they were required to take it down due to some sourcing formality. Like, say, they weren’t supposed to say anything until 5pm. Or an editor hadn’t signed off.

So maybe — just maybe — Josh Hamilton is going to be a Philly soon. Maybe as early as tonight.  Not quite elementary, but when you eliminate the impossible, etc. etc.

Oh, and the guy who wrote it had chicken salad for lunch, is in an unhappy marriage and recently purchased a blue blazer that is too large for him yet he still wears because despite his weight loss he still sees himself as a 46.

It’s obvious.

1. rpd118 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Or they fell for a fake tweet

• garylanglais - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I remember last year @JohnHeymanCBS (Heyman’s real account is spelled Jon) tweeted Fielder had signed with the Nationals fooling everyone and later that day it was announced he signed with the Tigers.

So maybe the Heyman fake account spurs teams into action…? Yeah that’s gotta be it

2. Mike Luna - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Official story is that DMN was duped by yet another fake Jon Heyman account and jumped the gun on the story, which is all well and good if you’re the sort of person who believes official stories.

The game is afoot!

3. proudlycanadian - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

It is no mystery that the Phillies are the MYSTERY TEAM.

• Just a Fan - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Actually Detroit is the Mystery team. Mr. Illich has been itching to sign him since last years surge. He is willing to pay, but waiting for Sanchez to sign else where first. There is too much RedWing money in the jar and he wants to win something this year before passing off the torch.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Passing the torch or kicking the buckett?

4. ame123 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Who said it ever existed in the first place? You can type anything in there and you’ll get the same error message.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Grant acknowledges it existed and he took the story down.

5. ChoneZone - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I think your sleuthing skills need a little fine-tuning. That seems to be the template for any incorrect URL for the website. Observe: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20121212-craig-calcaterra-loves-aquaman.ece

• ame123 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

you’re a minute late, chump!

• IdahoMariner - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM

but i like his aquaman reference better! because i imagine craig is heroically resisting the urge to delete the comment, wanting to, but knowing it didn’t violate any hbt rules.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM

With all due respect: “Your entrance was good, his was better”.

6. rpd118 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM

We are getting Hamilton, though.

• frank433 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I think we are too. Buy are my “we” different from your “we”?

• coloradogolfcoupons - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Good for you guys…another player to boo, as if Michael Young wasn’t enough. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

7. rpd118 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Grant is not quite accurate there. A real report came from a WIP host (Gargano) late yesterday afternoon that the Phils offered Hamilton a three-year deal.

Following that, someone posted from a fake Heyman account that it was a done deal.

8. illcomm - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM

just when I thought you couldn’t get any worse. you write this stupid article.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Yet you keep coming back.

• IdahoMariner - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM

craig, i am a big fan of the site …but if you post that hamilton pic again, i may have to reconsider…ugh.

• historiophiliac - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM

yeah, all kinds of disturbing…

• ame123 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Can we get that mustache photoshopped to David Wright’s pic.. the one with the eyes and the tongue… you know the one.

• Gobias Industries - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

THIS is what you get for letting Halladay’s Bicepts scoop stories like he’s freakin’ Woodward or Bernstein. When does his banishment from the comments carry over to the posts?

9. bricktop02 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM

What just happened?

10. hellboundglory9 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Glad it turned out to be phony, I would love for him to end up staying here in Texas. Also, after seeing that pic, I’m thinking it would be really cool for him to show Holland how it’s done and grow a sweet, Boggs-esque mustache.

11. illcomm - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I come back with the hope your not writing any longer. but everyday I am dissapointed your Mr clean type head is still at it. plus the app is pretty good for news. I’m not fishing out 2.99 for mlbtraderumors. granted I use bleacher report now more. much better articles/sources.

• hellboundglory9 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM

“granted I use bleacher report now more. much better articles/sources.”
      Holy goddamn. This is a troll, right?

…right?

• historiophiliac - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

IDK, spin him and see what his hair does.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Repeatedly doing something and hoping for a different result is the definition of what?

12. cbj7913 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM

You can type in any page name into that url from DMN and it will say that it has been removed or is no longer available. It doesn’t mean that it actually ever existed…

13. joshftw - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM

So if you’re Holmes, who would be Moriarty?

14. Old Gator - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Sorry Craig. Without Nigel Bruce whuffing “You amaze me, Holmes!” it ain’t the real deal.

15. paperlions - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Considering that Evan Grant actually gave Michael Young a first place vote for 2011 AL MVP, there really isn’t much room for a spoof Evan Grant account.

• yahmule - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Seriously. It’s like trying to spoof Palin.

• Old Gator - Dec 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Don’t they call that “Palinning” or something like that?

Speaking of which, Glen Rice was on the Macondo Heat’s 25th Anniversary show at halftime the other night….

16. dwrek5 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Is this real life?

17. tvguy22 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It killed your buzz? Classy.

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Say hello to 1920-1933 for me

• tvguy22 - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM

It was clearly a snarky reference to Hamilton’s drug/alcohol problems. Nice try, genius.

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Since when has snarky meant lame?

• tvguy22 - Dec 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM

To be more specific for the learning impaired, the headline to the story was a snarky reference to Hamilton’s drug/alcohol problems. Care to try again, genius?

18. mrchainbluelightning - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM

What’s the difference between Jon Heyman tweets and fake Jon Heyman tweets?

One isn’t a shill for Boras

Both can be equally dismissed quickly

• umrguy42 - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Can I just say I love your username (and if it’s not the Josey Wales reference I think it is, I will be most disappointed)?

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Of course it is

19. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Anthony Gargano (sports radio 94.1 WIP in Philly) reported yesterday that the Phills offered Hamilton a 4 year deal for 80 Million, per his sources. I trust his sources and am sure his sources weren’t from this tweet, so I’m not ruling out the possibility yet. Buzz back on?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM

It was actually a three-year deal for the same money.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Dec 13, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Whoops. Meant 3 year deal. Finished typing and didn’t look back.

20. jayscarpa - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Episode 6 is great.

21. vanmorrissey - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM

SHERLOCK rocks. Just amazing. Think new one’s coming out pretty soon.

• cktai - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

It is truly awesome. From what I heard they are filming the next three episodes in early 2013. Can’t wait!

• historiophiliac - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Didn’t care for it.

22. Utley's Hair - Dec 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM

So, the guy was duped by a mystery Heyman?

23. 13arod - Dec 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM

the rays are going to sign him you can tell

24. throughthewickets - Dec 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Josh: God’s answer to a question that wasn’t asked.

Please let the Philly rumor be true.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet