Dec 12, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown has an in-depth story on Don Mattingly and how he finds himself, suddenly, at the helm of the team with the highest payroll and the highest expectations in all of baseball. It’s a good story, with some great anecdotes about how Mattingly used to get inside the heads of dudes back in his playing days.
But this quote is likely to last longer in everyone’s memory. Especially if the Dodgers find themselves struggling at any point next season:
“The expectation is you have to win. That’s just the way it is. You could fight it. You could try to defuse it. But I don’t think there’s any defusing this bomb, no matter what we do. We just might as well look at that and take it head on right away. We’re supposed to win. There it is. If we lose, we’re failures.”
I think T.J. Simers was already going to stroll into the Dodgers’ clubhouse at some point after a three-game losing streak next year and jerkily demand that everyone there admit that they’re failures, but now at least he has a justification for it.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 3
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 152
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (155)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)