Dec 12, 2012, 9:26 AM EST
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown has an in-depth story on Don Mattingly and how he finds himself, suddenly, at the helm of the team with the highest payroll and the highest expectations in all of baseball. It’s a good story, with some great anecdotes about how Mattingly used to get inside the heads of dudes back in his playing days.
But this quote is likely to last longer in everyone’s memory. Especially if the Dodgers find themselves struggling at any point next season:
“The expectation is you have to win. That’s just the way it is. You could fight it. You could try to defuse it. But I don’t think there’s any defusing this bomb, no matter what we do. We just might as well look at that and take it head on right away. We’re supposed to win. There it is. If we lose, we’re failures.”
I think T.J. Simers was already going to stroll into the Dodgers’ clubhouse at some point after a three-game losing streak next year and jerkily demand that everyone there admit that they’re failures, but now at least he has a justification for it.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)