Dec 12, 2012, 6:58 AM EDT
Pat Hickey from the Montreal Gazette goes over his Hall of Fame ballot. He notes that voting is a difficult and involved undertaking, and says “If you’re doing it right, it should take three to four hours to fill out a ballot for the Baseball Hall of Fame.”
Then, after noting that he’s not voting for the PED guys on character grounds, he says this:
Pete Rose was ignored by a majority of voters for the 15 years he was on the ballot …
Pete Rose has never appeared on a Hall of Fame ballot as he is banned from baseball and is thus ineligible pursuant to the Hall of Fame’s rules. Which inspires one to ask what the hell Hickey is doing in those 3-4 hours he studies his ballot.
Hickey goes on to say that “The black mark against [Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens] is their arrogance in denying any wrongdoing.” This comes a couple sentences after he notes that Mark McGwire garnered only 19.5% of the vote in his sixth year of eligibility. Given McGwire’s lack of denials — indeed, the complete opposite of denials — something tells me that the black mark changes depending on the candidate.
This is not unique. Expect to see a plethora of incoherent things like this from Hall of Fame voters in the coming weeks.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)