Dec 12, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick says:
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) December 12, 2012
Their interest was first reported a month ago, and speculated about as a natural fit well before that.
That said, the Astros front office as currently constructed (i.e. a lot of smart people) are going to almost certainly make this a baseball decision, not an emotional or nostalgic decision. If Berkman wants to be paid as a guy who just played a 32-game season thanks to injuries and is looking to bounce back, cool. If he’s wishing to be paid as a memory of good Astros days past, it’s probably not gonna happen.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 41
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 78
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)