Dec 12, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
If 246 of your Facebook friends haven’t already reminded you, let me be the one to note that today is 12/12/12. Which, hey, if you’re into that sort of thing, great. Hall of Famer Roberto Alomar — who wore number 12 — is into that sort of thing, reports the Toronto Star:
The last repeating date most of us will ever see, 12/12/12, is on Wednesday and hundreds of people are expected to tie the knot, including former Blue Jay Roberto Alomar … “I’ve woven in little details like keepsake baseballs and 12/12/12 flags for cocktails,” said the couple’s wedding planner, Melissa Andre, in an email. “It’s all about enhancing what the couple is excited about and what is most special to them.”
A numerologist is quoted in the article saying that 12 is “an important number” so maybe Alomar thinks it’s lucky. And if Alomar could use anything in his personal life, it’s good luck.
The next repeating date, by the way, will be 01/01/01 (i.e. 2101). Lou Whitaker will be 143 on that date, so if he makes it maybe he should get married then.
And before you comment: yes, it is a slow news day.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)