Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Pop quiz, hotshot: you’re a newlywed. You land in Hawaii with your new bride for your honeymoon when some dude calls you and asks you to ditch your wife and go with him to parts unknown. What do you do? What do you do?!
Well, if you’re Nationals pitcher Ross Detwiler and the guy calling is a U.S. Army general and the reason for the trip is for a USO tour, you go:
“When I got the phone call, I just said: ‘I’m going to drop everything I can and make sure I can go on this,'” Detwiler said. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. You never know if you’re going to be able to do something like this again.”
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has the story. Including what Detwiler’s wife thought of all of this.
Not that I’d ever tell Mark how to do his job, but I really would like to hear Mrs. Detwiler’s reaction to the “once in a lifetime” comment. In any event, I hope she jokingly refers to Ross as her “first husband” for a while.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)