Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Pop quiz, hotshot: you’re a newlywed. You land in Hawaii with your new bride for your honeymoon when some dude calls you and asks you to ditch your wife and go with him to parts unknown. What do you do? What do you do?!
Well, if you’re Nationals pitcher Ross Detwiler and the guy calling is a U.S. Army general and the reason for the trip is for a USO tour, you go:
“When I got the phone call, I just said: ‘I’m going to drop everything I can and make sure I can go on this,’” Detwiler said. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. You never know if you’re going to be able to do something like this again.”
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has the story. Including what Detwiler’s wife thought of all of this.
Not that I’d ever tell Mark how to do his job, but I really would like to hear Mrs. Detwiler’s reaction to the “once in a lifetime” comment. In any event, I hope she jokingly refers to Ross as her “first husband” for a while.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)