Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Pop quiz, hotshot: you’re a newlywed. You land in Hawaii with your new bride for your honeymoon when some dude calls you and asks you to ditch your wife and go with him to parts unknown. What do you do? What do you do?!
Well, if you’re Nationals pitcher Ross Detwiler and the guy calling is a U.S. Army general and the reason for the trip is for a USO tour, you go:
“When I got the phone call, I just said: ‘I’m going to drop everything I can and make sure I can go on this,'” Detwiler said. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. You never know if you’re going to be able to do something like this again.”
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has the story. Including what Detwiler’s wife thought of all of this.
Not that I’d ever tell Mark how to do his job, but I really would like to hear Mrs. Detwiler’s reaction to the “once in a lifetime” comment. In any event, I hope she jokingly refers to Ross as her “first husband” for a while.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)