Ross Detwiler bails on his honeymoon for a USO tour

Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT

Ross Detwiler Reuters

Pop quiz, hotshot: you’re a newlywed. You land in Hawaii with your new bride for your honeymoon when some dude calls you and asks you to ditch your wife and go with him to parts unknown. What do you do? What do you do?!

Well, if you’re Nationals pitcher Ross Detwiler and the guy calling is a U.S. Army general and the reason for the trip is for a USO tour, you go:

“When I got the phone call, I just said: ‘I’m going to drop everything I can and make sure I can go on this,'” Detwiler said. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. You never know if you’re going to be able to do something like this again.”

Not that I’d ever tell Mark how to do his job, but I really would like to hear Mrs. Detwiler’s reaction to the “once in a lifetime” comment.  In any event, I hope she jokingly refers to Ross as her “first husband” for a while.

1. stex52 - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I got called to come back out to work on my honeymoon, many years ago. I told them to go get stuffed. But admittedly, it wasn’t an army general that called.

But the fact that I said “no” may be why we are still married.

• stex52 - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM

On a related note, at least it appears to be for a good cause. My wife might have cut me some slack for that.

2. sknut - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

That’s cool that he did and now she has leverage to demand a “second first honeymoon” that is even more fancy than the first one.

3. steelhammer92 - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

She just landed herself immunity for the length of their marriage. No matter what they do, she can always comeback say, “Yeah, but you ditched me on my honeymoon.”

4. modellforprez - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM

we hot damn. you all tell that little porkchop,lutmuffin,juicebag Ernie ern it would never ever ever leave her. not for a million buccaros not for a nice fat budley stick or a rail of peruvean flake or all the xanax you can eat night at the junkiehouse in philly. mrs luttner coulda rubbed bums but you wanna marry this slimy fuckin shitbag who left that braud for wha huh??????

• Hunter Pence's Eyes - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I’m fairly sure I lost several thousand brain cells in my attempt to comprehend this poorly written comment.

I should’ve stopped at “we hot damn.”

Thanks for that.

• nolanwiffle - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Looked to me like it had some comedic potential, but it got lost somewhere in the ether….

• jl9830 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

This is glorious.

• cur68 - Dec 13, 2012 at 4:57 AM

Please, no one try and translate this. You might sprain a brain lobe or some such. I mean, WTF language IS that shit?

5. scouter2012 - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM

_________________________________

Wow, I think you drank too much bleach this morning.

Yeah this guys’s wife will be able to instantly end any argument as long as they are married…however long that is.

6. bricktop02 - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Hey modell shoot yourself.

• Jeremy T - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Too far, man, too far

7. dakotah55 - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I really hope he got a pre-nup.

8. nygiantstones - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The guy is a baseball player that works for 8 months out of the year. He makes at least 6 figures. He has the time and can afford to take a honeymoon anytime he wants to in the offseason. I say this is part of the sacrifice of marrying a man that ensures your financial stability and allows you to spend your days shopping, going to salon appointments, living in a nice house, and driving a nice car. If she complains, he should remind her of all those benefits.

• jl9830 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I feel like ducking out on the honeymoon can’t be justified by saying you make all the money. Try telling that to your wife or girlfriend one day, then come show me the black eye you will get. That has never in the history of the world been a winning argument for men.

Plus, your whole post is quite sexist and ridiculous. How do you know what his wife does? For all you know, she’s a rocket scientist doing research for a University and saving cats from trees on her off time. To assume she’s “shopping, going to salon appointments, etc.” is ridiculous, sexist, etc. It’s not 1950. Women can do stuff, too.

• recoveringcubsfan - Dec 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Not to mention that this is a Nats player, so he clearly was put up to this by Mike Rizzo and this is all a whiny stunt of some kind, and furthermore no respectable “baseball town,” like Philadelphia or Atlanta, for instances, would ever employ a guy like this! Did I get all the Nationals tropes in there, Craig?

9. number42is1 - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM

“Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has the story. Including what Detwiler’s wife thought of all of this.”

Poor guy missed being a billionaire by 4 damn letters in his last name

10. shawndc04 - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Craig: He cut the honeymoon one day short. She was fine with it. Move along. Nothing here to see.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Except a neat story about a guy doing something really cool.

Or are you actually reading this as me criticizing Detwiler? Because if that’s the case, Jesus.

• natstowngreg - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I have to wonder how many read this, without a clue as to how cool it is. He’s going over to see for folks who don’t get to see their families for months at a time.

• shawndc04 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

You’re the one who captioned it “bails” on honeymoon. A bit sensitive aren’t we?

• sgtr0c - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM

The title with the words ” Bails On Honeymoon” makes it seem bad. It is the first three words after you wrote his name. It is an awesome thing to do, going on a USO tour, but you wrote those words. Kinda nega-nelly sounding.

11. scouter2012 - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Hahaha!

12. qcubed3 - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Ross is a hoss

13. IdahoMariner - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Yeah, I’m thinking she refers to him as her “first husband” for a while. because while she might be 100% in support of him going off to do what he did…referring to it as a once in a lifetime opportunity, in the context of cutting short what should be your only honeymoon, is a party foul. especially when he likely could have seen if he could go on a later USO tour (they have those on a pretty regular basis, and if the general is a hardcore nats fan, he probably would have totally let him on the next tour).

a minor party foul for the reference to once in a lifetime, so maybe “first husband” reference privileges for a full week. the court has spoken.

14. stairwayto7 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM

she must not be very good looking

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4887)