Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Pop quiz, hotshot: you’re a newlywed. You land in Hawaii with your new bride for your honeymoon when some dude calls you and asks you to ditch your wife and go with him to parts unknown. What do you do? What do you do?!
Well, if you’re Nationals pitcher Ross Detwiler and the guy calling is a U.S. Army general and the reason for the trip is for a USO tour, you go:
“When I got the phone call, I just said: ‘I’m going to drop everything I can and make sure I can go on this,'” Detwiler said. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. You never know if you’re going to be able to do something like this again.”
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has the story. Including what Detwiler’s wife thought of all of this.
Not that I’d ever tell Mark how to do his job, but I really would like to hear Mrs. Detwiler’s reaction to the “once in a lifetime” comment. In any event, I hope she jokingly refers to Ross as her “first husband” for a while.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)