Dec 12, 2012, 12:55 PM EST
Rolen has now suggested to the Reds that he might want to go to spring training and give it another try, according to sources, and the Reds would be more than happy to give him a chance. The Reds believe he can help, on the field and especially in the clubhouse, where they value his leadership.
It would have to be a bench role, right? Because Rolen has cratered over the past two years, both in terms of his performance and his durability, hitting .244/.301/.397 in 157 games. Meanwhile, Todd Frazier came in third in the Rookie of the Year voting with a .273/.331/.498, 19-home run year. By all rights, Frazier should be the starting third baseman.
Another problem: Rolen has never played a position other than third, so his usefulness off the bench would be limited.
If Rolen comes to camp and struggles, we’ll get to see how much leadership is really worth.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)