Sure, Johnny Damon would listen if the Royals called

Dec 12, 2012, 9:56 AM EDT

damon ap AP

Johnny Damon on MLBNetwork Radio on SiriusXM a few minutes ago, talking about playing in 2013:

“I sure hope so. I’m not going to announce until the middle of spring … Seeing what Kansas City has done to their pitching staff, I wouldn’t mind going there and trying to finish where I started.”

Of course Kansas City is one of the few teams which has a very good, dedicated DH, so it’s probably one of the worst fits for Damon.

Still, him signing with the Royals would be fun. If for no other reason than we’d be certain to hear some analysis which, paired with the post-Wil Myers trade analysis from the same people in which Myers was all but totally discounted due to merely being a prospect, would work out to folks saying that Damon has more to add to the 2013 Royals than Myers would have.

1. uyf1950 - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Didn’t Damon say just recently that “he always wanted to play for the Royals” ever since back in the day.

• Caught Looking - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Same guy who also said he wouldn’t sign with the Yankees.

2. Old Gator - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Are you kidding? At this point in his career Damon would respond to a dog whistle.

3. bankboy2012 - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I’m pretty sure Johnny Damon wouldn’t mind going anywhere he was offered a contract at this point.

4. webbza - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Just wrote an article on the Shields/Myers trade. Please check it out on my blog and let me know what you think in the comments.

• mattyflex - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

A) quit spamming
      B) the thought of Wil Myers competing against Matt Joyce is laughable.

5. sportsdrenched - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

No, don’t do it Dayton.

6. xmatt0926x - Dec 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

It’s funny when players who are being forced into retirement because no team wants them say “sure, I’d listen if they called”. I hear tell that Terrell Owens also plans on listening if the Patriots call….

7. rayfeathers - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM

or the sign with the A’ s. grow out your hair again and hit 215. just fuckin retire already john damon.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3274)