Dec 13, 2012, 8:35 AM EDT
One of the most unfortunate yet unintentionally hilarious things in baseball over the past several years is everyone playing armchair psychiatrist for Zack Greinke.
Yes, the guy took some time off several years ago with an anxiety issue. But, since then, he’s been talked about as if he suffers from some rare and strange disease that has turned him into a cross between, I dunno, Commander Data and a shambling mass of emotion and nerves rather than some guy who, like a ton of other people including a lot of people you know, have some issues with anxiety and depression from time to time.
You could see some of this chatter when Greinke was going out on the free agent market. People talking about “fit” with him in ways they don’t talk about it with other players. People wondering if he’d be more “comfortable” in Texas as opposed to Los Angeles or if, bless his fragile heart, he had better go back to Kansas City or Milwaukee where everything would be OK.
All of which makes his reasons for picking the Dodgers more fun. From Fox Sports’ Joe McDonnell:
Zack Greinke said that when it came down to choosing the Dodgers over other teams pursuing him, it was all about the money.
The new Dodgers right-hander said that he was leaning toward joining the Texas Rangers before taking the Dodgers’ offer of $147 million over six years.
“The negotiations changed,” he said.
Was it the money that put the Dodgers over the top?
Greinke smiled and said: “That’s what it comes down to at the end.”
Like Bogart said: he’s just like any other man, only more so. In this case: normal and honest.
Now, can we please stop treating Greinke like he’s an alien?
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)