Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
As if getting Angel Pagan from the Mets last offseason in exchange for Andres Torres wasn’t enough of a victory for the Giants now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that they’ve signed Torres to a one-year, $2 million deal as a free agent.
He was non-tendered by the Mets after hitting .230 with a .664 OPS in 132 games and Torres will now serve as Pagan’s backup while perhaps competing with Gregor Blanco for starts in left field.
So, to recap: Trade one outfielder for another outfielder, watch the guy you got have a very good year and the guy you gave up have a poor year, and then bring back the original guy on the cheap to serve as the new guy’s backup. Now, re-signing Pagan for $40 million may end badly, but still. Not bad, Giants.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 0
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 53
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games