Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
As if getting Angel Pagan from the Mets last offseason in exchange for Andres Torres wasn’t enough of a victory for the Giants now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that they’ve signed Torres to a one-year, $2 million deal as a free agent.
He was non-tendered by the Mets after hitting .230 with a .664 OPS in 132 games and Torres will now serve as Pagan’s backup while perhaps competing with Gregor Blanco for starts in left field.
So, to recap: Trade one outfielder for another outfielder, watch the guy you got have a very good year and the guy you gave up have a poor year, and then bring back the original guy on the cheap to serve as the new guy’s backup. Now, re-signing Pagan for $40 million may end badly, but still. Not bad, Giants.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)