Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 AM EST
As if getting Angel Pagan from the Mets last offseason in exchange for Andres Torres wasn’t enough of a victory for the Giants now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that they’ve signed Torres to a one-year, $2 million deal as a free agent.
He was non-tendered by the Mets after hitting .230 with a .664 OPS in 132 games and Torres will now serve as Pagan’s backup while perhaps competing with Gregor Blanco for starts in left field.
So, to recap: Trade one outfielder for another outfielder, watch the guy you got have a very good year and the guy you gave up have a poor year, and then bring back the original guy on the cheap to serve as the new guy’s backup. Now, re-signing Pagan for $40 million may end badly, but still. Not bad, Giants.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)