Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
As if getting Angel Pagan from the Mets last offseason in exchange for Andres Torres wasn’t enough of a victory for the Giants now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that they’ve signed Torres to a one-year, $2 million deal as a free agent.
He was non-tendered by the Mets after hitting .230 with a .664 OPS in 132 games and Torres will now serve as Pagan’s backup while perhaps competing with Gregor Blanco for starts in left field.
So, to recap: Trade one outfielder for another outfielder, watch the guy you got have a very good year and the guy you gave up have a poor year, and then bring back the original guy on the cheap to serve as the new guy’s backup. Now, re-signing Pagan for $40 million may end badly, but still. Not bad, Giants.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)