Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
As if getting Angel Pagan from the Mets last offseason in exchange for Andres Torres wasn’t enough of a victory for the Giants now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that they’ve signed Torres to a one-year, $2 million deal as a free agent.
He was non-tendered by the Mets after hitting .230 with a .664 OPS in 132 games and Torres will now serve as Pagan’s backup while perhaps competing with Gregor Blanco for starts in left field.
So, to recap: Trade one outfielder for another outfielder, watch the guy you got have a very good year and the guy you gave up have a poor year, and then bring back the original guy on the cheap to serve as the new guy’s backup. Now, re-signing Pagan for $40 million may end badly, but still. Not bad, Giants.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 8
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 59
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 29
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)