Dec 13, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rosenthal says it’s a two-year, $26.5 million deal, so by turning down the previous two-year offer Dempster gets a little extra cash and the Red Sox still manage to avoid a three-year commitment.
No word yet on the money or years involved, but previous reports had Dempster turning down a two-year, $25 million offer from Boston.
If the Red Sox agree to give him a three-year deal it’s a big risk, as Dempster is 35 years old and got knocked around in his first taste of the American League following a midseason trade to the Rangers. For the most part, though, he’s been a solid No. 2 or No. 3 starter, posting a 3.74 ERA and 911 strikeouts in 997 innings during the past three seasons, including a 3.38 ERA in 173 total innings this year.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)