Dec 13, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: Nightengale reports that there will be no decision from Sanchez tonight, as talks with the Cubs and Tigers are expected to continue in the morning.
7:50 PM: Per Nightengale, Sanchez’s agent says, “He has not decided. Negotiations are ongoing..”
7:14 PM: Nightengale reports that the Tigers have bumped their offer to Sanchez. The specifics of the new offer aren’t yet clear, but it’s beginning to look like the Cubs got used for leverage here. This baseball is a tough business.
6:59 PM: Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Cubs thought they had a deal with Sanchez, but the Tigers are being given the last chance to match. They previously offered him a four-year deal.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports also hears that it isn’t a done deal, so stay tuned.
5:50 PM: Another unexpected signing. After a pretty general assumption that the Tigers were the favorites to bring back Anibal Sanchez, Bob Nightengale just reported that the Chicago Cubs have signed him. No official word on the money, but Ken Rosenthal had just previously tweeted that the Cubs were “close” and were offering five years and $75 million.
Sanchez is a 48-51 career pitcher with a 3.75 ERA. Last year he he had a 3.74 ERA for the Tigers and a 3.94 ERA for the Marlins and was 9-13 overall. He has thrown between 195 and 197 innings in each of the past three years.
He’ll immediately be the Cubs number one or, depending on how you feel about Matt Garza‘s health, number two starter. And, considering where this market has gone so far this winter, that’s not a terrible price for the guy. I think most people figured he’d go north of $80 million.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 30
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)