Dec 13, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: Nightengale reports that there will be no decision from Sanchez tonight, as talks with the Cubs and Tigers are expected to continue in the morning.
7:50 PM: Per Nightengale, Sanchez’s agent says, “He has not decided. Negotiations are ongoing..”
7:14 PM: Nightengale reports that the Tigers have bumped their offer to Sanchez. The specifics of the new offer aren’t yet clear, but it’s beginning to look like the Cubs got used for leverage here. This baseball is a tough business.
6:59 PM: Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Cubs thought they had a deal with Sanchez, but the Tigers are being given the last chance to match. They previously offered him a four-year deal.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports also hears that it isn’t a done deal, so stay tuned.
5:50 PM: Another unexpected signing. After a pretty general assumption that the Tigers were the favorites to bring back Anibal Sanchez, Bob Nightengale just reported that the Chicago Cubs have signed him. No official word on the money, but Ken Rosenthal had just previously tweeted that the Cubs were “close” and were offering five years and $75 million.
Sanchez is a 48-51 career pitcher with a 3.75 ERA. Last year he he had a 3.74 ERA for the Tigers and a 3.94 ERA for the Marlins and was 9-13 overall. He has thrown between 195 and 197 innings in each of the past three years.
He’ll immediately be the Cubs number one or, depending on how you feel about Matt Garza‘s health, number two starter. And, considering where this market has gone so far this winter, that’s not a terrible price for the guy. I think most people figured he’d go north of $80 million.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)