Dec 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Adam Wainwright is heading into the final year of his contract and after bouncing back well from Tommy John elbow surgery he’s in line for a huge long-term deal at age 31.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that “both sides have expressed an interest in discussing an extension” and Wainwright’s agent “expects to discuss an extension with the Cardinals during spring training.”
One point of contention in potential extension talks is whether Wainwright wants to be valued like the guy who was a dominant ace before surgery or the guy who posted a 3.94 ERA in his first season back from elbow. Wainwright’s secondary numbers–strikeouts, walks, homers allowed–were actually fairly close to his pre-surgery levels, but his ERA didn’t quite show it, which could lead to some disagreement.
Either way, it’s hard to imagine Wainwright not getting $100 million offers if he hits the open market next offseason.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)