Dec 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Adam Wainwright is heading into the final year of his contract and after bouncing back well from Tommy John elbow surgery he’s in line for a huge long-term deal at age 31.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that “both sides have expressed an interest in discussing an extension” and Wainwright’s agent “expects to discuss an extension with the Cardinals during spring training.”
One point of contention in potential extension talks is whether Wainwright wants to be valued like the guy who was a dominant ace before surgery or the guy who posted a 3.94 ERA in his first season back from elbow. Wainwright’s secondary numbers–strikeouts, walks, homers allowed–were actually fairly close to his pre-surgery levels, but his ERA didn’t quite show it, which could lead to some disagreement.
Either way, it’s hard to imagine Wainwright not getting $100 million offers if he hits the open market next offseason.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)