Dec 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Adam Wainwright is heading into the final year of his contract and after bouncing back well from Tommy John elbow surgery he’s in line for a huge long-term deal at age 31.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that “both sides have expressed an interest in discussing an extension” and Wainwright’s agent “expects to discuss an extension with the Cardinals during spring training.”
One point of contention in potential extension talks is whether Wainwright wants to be valued like the guy who was a dominant ace before surgery or the guy who posted a 3.94 ERA in his first season back from elbow. Wainwright’s secondary numbers–strikeouts, walks, homers allowed–were actually fairly close to his pre-surgery levels, but his ERA didn’t quite show it, which could lead to some disagreement.
Either way, it’s hard to imagine Wainwright not getting $100 million offers if he hits the open market next offseason.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 13
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)