Dec 14, 2012, 9:51 AM EST
UPDATE: Bob Nightengale reports that, per Sanchez’s agent, Sanchez has agreed to a five-year, $80 million deal with the Tigers.
9:20 AM: Last night’s crazy uncertainty about Anibal Sanchez seems to be over. Jon Heyman just reported that the Cubs have pulled out of the bidding for Sanchez, which presumably means the Tigers are going to land him.
As of this morning, Ken Rosenthal said that the Cubs had upped their offer to five-years, $77.5 million. So, apparently, the Tigers topped that. Which is weird given that Heyman is hearing that they’re at $75 million. There has to be some sort of disconnect here. Either that’s old information on the Tigers’ last bid or else the Cubs pulled their $77.5 million offer off the table. Or, possibly, that was bad information.
Certainly confusing stuff, but understandable when a bidding war is afoot.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)