UPDATE: Anibal Sanchez agrees to a five-year, $80 million deal with the Tigers

Dec 14, 2012, 9:51 AM EDT

anibal sanchez getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Bob Nightengale reports that, per Sanchez’s agent, Sanchez has agreed to a five-year, $80 million deal with the Tigers.

9:20 AMLast night’s crazy uncertainty about Anibal Sanchez seems to be over.  Jon Heyman just reported that the Cubs have pulled out of the bidding for Sanchez, which presumably means the Tigers are going to land him.

As of this morning, Ken Rosenthal said that the Cubs had upped their offer to five-years, $77.5 million. So, apparently, the Tigers topped that.  Which is weird given that Heyman is hearing that they’re at $75 million.  There has to be some sort of disconnect here. Either that’s old information on the Tigers’ last bid or else the Cubs pulled their $77.5 million offer off the table. Or, possibly, that was bad information.

Certainly confusing stuff, but understandable when a bidding war is afoot.

1. proudlycanadian - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Christmas shopping has gotten a tad expensive. I am glad that the Jays did their shopping early.

• Old Gator - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM

My impression of Canada is that it’s usually a good idea to get off the streets before it gets really cold.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM

A shot of Canadian Club warms you up real quick.

• madhatternalice - Dec 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM

So, before 9 am?

• indaburg - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM

One stop shopping is the way to go.

• Old Gator - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM

So does a nice hot fresser-sized smoked meat sandwich at Caplansky’s. Although, in all fairness, it’s harder to walk back to your car into the wind after the sandwich.

• Just a Fan - Dec 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Man that sounds good……..please give a full description.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM

What the Jays did resemble trading gifts at a Secret Santa bash….

• historiophiliac - Dec 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Well, I got almost everything I wanted and it’s MONTHS away from ST. :)

Happy New Year!!!

2. darthicarus - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Part of me wants to believe that Sanchez would take 5/$75m from the Tigers over 5/$77.5m from the Cubs because he would rather win than have those few extra dollars in his pocket.

I do think that he’s a bit overpriced, but given the market and his stats compared to someone like Grienke it can be viewed as a bargain. The thing I do not like about the rapidly growing contracts is that the Tigers won’t be able to afford Verlander & Cabrera when their deals come up. Again, there’s that part of me that still thinks players have team loyalty (though I know teams don’t have loyalty to their players usually) and if Illitich stays around long enough to be a part when the resigning process comes up I have hope they become Tigers for the rest of their career. I know that’s just the kid in me thinking that the players love the team as much as I do & that it’s not a business decision…must be due to the holidays that I hope for the best from everyone.

3. Old Gator - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Well, I’m happy for Anibal. He’s a good guy and he’s really worked his nalgas orf to get where he is. He’s not big or lanky or torqey so he’s really had to do it with technique, and he battled back from some serious injuries to become as good as he is – though one wonders if he’ll every quite fulfill his rookie promise.

Even so, after being treated like an afterbirth by the Scrooge McLoria crime family – all he did was peetch them a no-heeter as a rookie, and why they ignored him when he obviously had so much talent baffles me, even as closely as I’ve observed those jerks – it’s good to see him strike paydirt with the Tiggers. Just another star in the firmament of Feesh escapees that the four or five Feesh fans left can regard from afar with fond hearts. Go for it, Anibal.

• historiophiliac - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Detroit Feesh!

• Old Gator - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Toronto Feesh! LA Feesh!

This sucks.

4. albertmn - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Unless there is a mystery team, Sanchez may want to sign before a team actually drops out and he loses leverage.

5. historiophiliac - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yea!!!

6. giantboy99 - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Use and abuse

7. Carl Hancock - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM

“There has to be some sort of disconnect.” Yea, maybe his source is simply full of sh*t. Agent could have simply been spreading misinformation to leverage negotiations.

8. ktourek - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Thank you for the early Christmas present Theo. I was a bit worried there you were going to get me an expensive present that I didn’t want…

• Old Gator - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Don’t worry. Theo hasn’t figured a way to cram a championship all the way down the chimney without it getting stuck at one of the bends. Heee hee…anyway, solving the curse isn’t a job for Theo. It’s a job for Mary Poppins.

• ktourek - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM

You make a very good point Gator. I don’t expect Theo to deliver that Championship in a year or two, but I hope he doesn’t make the same mistakes the previous regime did to set them back even further. Although at this point there really isn’t much further back to go, is there?

• Old Gator - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

You have a century and change to work with. But then, it’s probably better to have a century of futility behind you than indeterminate era of futility ahead of you – as do we star-crossed Feesh fans, currently contemplating cryogenic suspension because we have a really bad feeling about what’s coming.

9. darthicarus - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Wow, $16 million a year for their #4 starter basically. Fister at $500k is going to get a nice arbitration bump I think.

Illitch again proves that he wants a World Series ring before his time is up. Adding Hunter, resigning Sanchez, and Martinez coming back the team looks good “on paper”. Here’s to hoping the defense performs a little better and whomever they put in at closer can get the job done (I’m looking at you Rondon!).

• historiophiliac - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Yeah, buddy!

10. skeleteeth - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM

So all you need to do to net a $16 million/year contract as a pitcher today is eek out a sub 4.00 ERA while never getting under a 1.25 WHIP for 3 straight years?

• darthicarus - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM

You also need to use the Cubs to leverage a few extra million out of an owner that wants to win now. It’s not my money though so I can’t complain too much if it means I might be able to see my home team win the World Series.

• detroitr1 - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

he won the lottery by posting serious numbers in the playoffs….but to your point, this is getting out-of-hand

• skeleteeth - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Serious numbers against teams that hit a collective .214 in the postseason?

• grumpyoleman - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Maybe the teams only batted .214 because of the pitching stat. Must be some stupid WAR like number to show that correlation.

11. ryanrockzzz - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Wow, the Cubs got played bad on this one. Either way, he’s a decent pitcher. Just as good a Grienke in many areas. Goes to show you what media hype and ignorance can do to jump up your per year value in this league. Still think pitcher salaries are out of control though…

12. sparty0n - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM

BOOOOO! Now the Tigers wont be able to resign other players over the next couple of years because they won’t have the funds.

I think DD had to resign him in order to save face after he gave up way too much for Sanchez.

• historiophiliac - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Dude, this is a short term buy. The gang is not staying together forever, but they don’t need it to.

• sparty0n - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Its 5 years! Torii was a short term buy.

Avila, Fister and Jackson are all arbitration eligible in 2014. I dont recall them signing Scherzer long terma and it looks like he is arbitration elgible throug 2015, then a FA. Verlander’s contract is up in 2015. And somewhere along the way we need a second basemen.

All of these are high priorities, IMO, than signing of Sanchez….especially for $80mil!

• historiophiliac - Dec 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Only if your intention is to keep the team together long term. If your goal is to win the WS next year, all of that is of lesser importance.

13. legacybroken - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I think of it this way. I’d much rather spend 16 million a year for a good starting pitcher then 15/16 million a year for Soriano.

14. 3yardsandacloud - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Anyone think the Tiger’s were pursuing Hamilton and only after he was off of the table they decided to commit that money to Sanchez?

A couple weeks ago every story was outright denying any chance Sanchez signs with the Tigers because they weren’t going to come close to $80M, then boom, Hamilton isn’t available and Sanchez is signed for $80M.

• historiophiliac - Dec 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Um, no.

• 3yardsandacloud - Dec 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I disagree. Illitch wants to win and Detroit needs another outfielder. They showed you last year they aren’t going to shy away from putting money on the table. I know it might be a stretch to think the Tiger’s were interested in Hamilton given the deal he got, as well as their payroll, but typically when Dombrowski is that quiet, he’s up to something.

I am in no way saying I think the Tigers were offering anything close to $125M, I just think they were trying to sign him

15. weaselpuppy - Dec 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Love it as a Tigers fan for 2013-15. 4 year window is all anyone can expect.

The longer term really boils down to having young cheap guys produce, so when they get here, Castellanos, Avi Garcia, Rondon and Suarez at SS have to produce, as will Al-Al and Villareal in the setup roles.

Payroll management wise, in 2015 we drop $13m in Hunter and $13m n more in VMart, in 2014 we drop $6.5 of Jhonny, $4m of Infante, $5.5 of Benoit and $3m of Dotel. That should be near enough to cover the arby inrceases to Fister, Scherzer AJax and Avila plus tack on 4-5 million a year to JV and Miggy on re-signs…it’ll work out as Mr Illitch wants to win damn the costs….but the kids have to play well.

Mr Porcello and Mr Boesch on the other hand, they better pack their bags….Gregerson and Guzman from SD?

• sparty0n - Dec 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I dont like it. At the end of the 2014 season look back and you will see the Sanchez misses AT LEAST 16 starts if not more between 2013 & 2014, and still got is $15+mil per.

• weaselpuppy - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Sanchez started 98 times the last 3 years….

16. Minoring In Baseball - Dec 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Brutally expensive, but Illitch really wants to win now. I don’t blame him for that, but it’s a lot of coin for a fourth man in the rotation.
    –Mike

17. stercuilus65 - Dec 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I’d rather Greinke and his contract rather than give 80 million to a mediocre pitcher like Sanchez.

18. weaselpuppy - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Greinke has one Cy Young year and 3 seasons that match Sanchez’s last 3 seasons. So you’d pay $75m for One Cy Young season???

• stercuilus65 - Dec 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Even if it was true that Sanchez matched Greinke, which it isn’t, how many Cy Youngs has Sanchez won? Case closed.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS