Dec 14, 2012, 3:59 PM EST
Everyone could use a distraction today. This is a great one.
It’s a long story by Kevin Guilfoile for ESPN The Magazine. Guilfoile’s father was the media relations director for the Pittsburgh Pirates in the early 70s and then, later, vice president of the Hall of Fame. When Roberto Clemente notched his 3000th hit, the bat went to the Hall of Fame where Guilfoile’s father passed by it every day.
Or did he?
I’ll say no more about this except that it’s a wonderful read and it’s about way more than just Roberto Clemente’s bat.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 0
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 3
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)