Dec 14, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
Everyone could use a distraction today. This is a great one.
It’s a long story by Kevin Guilfoile for ESPN The Magazine. Guilfoile’s father was the media relations director for the Pittsburgh Pirates in the early 70s and then, later, vice president of the Hall of Fame. When Roberto Clemente notched his 3000th hit, the bat went to the Hall of Fame where Guilfoile’s father passed by it every day.
Or did he?
I’ll say no more about this except that it’s a wonderful read and it’s about way more than just Roberto Clemente’s bat.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)