Dec 14, 2012, 3:59 PM EST
Everyone could use a distraction today. This is a great one.
It’s a long story by Kevin Guilfoile for ESPN The Magazine. Guilfoile’s father was the media relations director for the Pittsburgh Pirates in the early 70s and then, later, vice president of the Hall of Fame. When Roberto Clemente notched his 3000th hit, the bat went to the Hall of Fame where Guilfoile’s father passed by it every day.
Or did he?
I’ll say no more about this except that it’s a wonderful read and it’s about way more than just Roberto Clemente’s bat.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 22
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 16
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)