Dec 14, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
The Nationals and Orioles have had a longstanding dispute over cable rights fees. Both teams have deals with MASN, but Peter Angelos owns MASN, and he and the network have been fighting with the Nats, who claim that they are getting less money for their broadcast rights than they deserve.
So far negotiations haven’t gone anywhere, but Major League Baseball may have a solution:
Major League Baseball has asked a private investment bank to seek potential new owners for the rights that are now held by the regional sports network controlled by Orioles owner Peter Angelos. Allen & Co., a New York-based investment bank, is seeking buyers to acquire the two franchises’ broadcast rights from the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, according to two people with direct knowledge of the matter who spoke on condition of anonymity.
And once they had them, they’d set up a new Nats-only network.
All of this, by the way, is the result of the dealmaking that MLB did with Peter Angelos when they moved the Nationals into the Orioles’ territory, so it makes sense that MLB step in and try to solve this rather than sit back and take its usual passive approach.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)