Dec 14, 2012, 8:19 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, the Yankees will pay a luxury tax to MLB for the 10th consecutive year.
The Yankees finished with a $222.5 million payroll for the purposes of the tax, well above the $178 million threshold. They were charged at 42.5 percent of the overage, so they’ll owe $18.9 million to MLB. No other team will pay a luxury tax for their 2012 payroll.
This year’s fee is up from the $13.9 million tax paid by the Yankees last year. The club has racked up a luxury tax bill of $224.2 million over the past decade, but the streak may not continue for much longer. The Yankees are currently trying to get their payroll under the new $189 million luxury tax threshold beginning in 2014, which is a big reason why general manager Brian Cashman has tried to hand out one-year deals this offseason. Ichiro Suzuki‘s new two-year, $13 million deal is an exception, though they only went there because he received multi-year offers elsewhere.
The Red Sox paid the luxury tax in 2010 and 2011, but they fell just $47,177 short of the threshold this year. August’s mega-trade with the Dodgers gave them just enough breathing room.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights