Dec 14, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Zack Greinke‘s six-year, $147 million deal with the Dodgers includes a clause that allows him to opt out following the 2015 season and Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that the contract also has some sizable incentives built in:
Greinke’s base salary in 2018 will increase to $26 million if he pitches 1,000 innings in his first five years of the contract.
If Greinke wins a Cy Young Award, his base salary will increase by $1 million the following season. If he doesn’t win the award but finishes in the top five in voting, his base salary will increase by $500,000 the next season.
If Greinke wins the Cy Young Award in 2018, he will receive a $1 million bonus. If he doesn’t win the award but finishes in the top five in voting that season, he will be paid a $500,000 bonus.
Greinke will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is traded.
Obviously he’s not going to win six consecutive Cy Young awards, but winning one is certainly possible and finishing among the top five vote-getters is definitely doable in multiple seasons. Reaching enough incentives to bump the total value of the contract past $150 million seems likely, although if Greinke is pitching well enough to win Cy Young awards opting out after three years to get another huge long-term deal will probably make financial sense anyway.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)