Dec 15, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Josh Hamilton has passed his physical with the Angels, making his new five-year, $125 million contract is official. He’s scheduled to be introduced at a news conference in Anaheim at 2:30 p.m. ET this afternoon.
Per Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Hamilton’s contract includes a no-trade clause and is slightly backloaded. He will make $15 million in the first year of the contract.
Hamilton’s $25 million AAV (average annual value) ties him with Ryan Howard for the second-highest in baseball, trailing only Alex Rodriguez‘s $27.5 million AAV. Hamilton’s new teammate Albert Pujols has an AAV of $24 million on his deal.
The addition of Hamilton creates a logjam in the Angels’ outfield which could cause the club to listen to trade offers for Peter Bourjos, Mark Trumbo or Kendrys Morales. The Angels are likely stuck with Vernon Wells, who is owed $42 million over the next two seasons.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)