Dec 15, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Josh Hamilton has passed his physical with the Angels, making his new five-year, $125 million contract is official. He’s scheduled to be introduced at a news conference in Anaheim at 2:30 p.m. ET this afternoon.
Per Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Hamilton’s contract includes a no-trade clause and is slightly backloaded. He will make $15 million in the first year of the contract.
Hamilton’s $25 million AAV (average annual value) ties him with Ryan Howard for the second-highest in baseball, trailing only Alex Rodriguez‘s $27.5 million AAV. Hamilton’s new teammate Albert Pujols has an AAV of $24 million on his deal.
The addition of Hamilton creates a logjam in the Angels’ outfield which could cause the club to listen to trade offers for Peter Bourjos, Mark Trumbo or Kendrys Morales. The Angels are likely stuck with Vernon Wells, who is owed $42 million over the next two seasons.
- Carlos Beltran diagnosed with facial fractures after batting practice mishap 7
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 27
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (169)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)