Dec 15, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Josh Hamilton has passed his physical with the Angels, making his new five-year, $125 million contract is official. He’s scheduled to be introduced at a news conference in Anaheim at 2:30 p.m. ET this afternoon.
Per Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Hamilton’s contract includes a no-trade clause and is slightly backloaded. He will make $15 million in the first year of the contract.
Hamilton’s $25 million AAV (average annual value) ties him with Ryan Howard for the second-highest in baseball, trailing only Alex Rodriguez‘s $27.5 million AAV. Hamilton’s new teammate Albert Pujols has an AAV of $24 million on his deal.
The addition of Hamilton creates a logjam in the Angels’ outfield which could cause the club to listen to trade offers for Peter Bourjos, Mark Trumbo or Kendrys Morales. The Angels are likely stuck with Vernon Wells, who is owed $42 million over the next two seasons.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games