Dec 15, 2012, 6:57 PM EDT
The Angels beefed up their offense in a big way this week, signing Josh Hamilton to a five-year, $125 million free agent contract. Now they’re looking to further address their starting rotation needs.
According to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com, Anaheim’s decision-makers have “been in contact” with the Tigers about a potential trade for right-handed starter Rick Porcello. Angels outfielder Peter Bourjos would seem to fit as a trade piece, but Knobler says that particular swap is not close to happening because the Halos would much rather move Kendrys Morales.
Morales, strictly a designated hitter and first baseman, obviously isn’t a fit in Detroit.
Porcello posted a 4.59 ERA, 1.53 WHIP and 107/44 K/BB ratio in 176 1/3 innings this past summer for the Tigers. The 23-year-old former first-round pick owns a 4.55 career ERA through four MLB seasons.
The Padres and Pirates have also been mentioned as possible landing spots for Porcello.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 68
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 35
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 13
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 5
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 67
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games