Dec 15, 2012, 6:57 PM EST
The Angels beefed up their offense in a big way this week, signing Josh Hamilton to a five-year, $125 million free agent contract. Now they’re looking to further address their starting rotation needs.
According to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com, Anaheim’s decision-makers have “been in contact” with the Tigers about a potential trade for right-handed starter Rick Porcello. Angels outfielder Peter Bourjos would seem to fit as a trade piece, but Knobler says that particular swap is not close to happening because the Halos would much rather move Kendrys Morales.
Morales, strictly a designated hitter and first baseman, obviously isn’t a fit in Detroit.
Porcello posted a 4.59 ERA, 1.53 WHIP and 107/44 K/BB ratio in 176 1/3 innings this past summer for the Tigers. The 23-year-old former first-round pick owns a 4.55 career ERA through four MLB seasons.
The Padres and Pirates have also been mentioned as possible landing spots for Porcello.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 129
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 244
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (254)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)