Dec 15, 2012, 11:01 AM EST
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that it’s a one-year deal with a $2.5 million base salary. He could make an additional $2.5 million in performance incentives. Given what we’ve seen in this market, this is a pretty nice deal for the Phillies.
10:50 AM: John Lannan was non-tendered by the Nationals last month, but he’s sticking around in the National League East.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies have agreed to a contract with Lannan, pending a physical. No word yet on the terms involved.
Lannan was the odd man out in the Nationals’ rotation this past season, as he spent most of the year in the minors, but he posted a 4.13 ERA and 17/14 K/BB ratio over 32 2/3 innings in six starts with the big club. The 28-year-old southpaw owns a 4.01 ERA over six seasons in the majors.
The Phillies had a need for another starter after trading Vance Worley in the Ben Revere deal, so Lannan fits the bill. He’s set to join a rotation which projects to include Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee and Kyle Kendrick.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 10
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 90
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)