Dec 15, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that it’s a one-year deal with a $2.5 million base salary. He could make an additional $2.5 million in performance incentives. Given what we’ve seen in this market, this is a pretty nice deal for the Phillies.
10:50 AM: John Lannan was non-tendered by the Nationals last month, but he’s sticking around in the National League East.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies have agreed to a contract with Lannan, pending a physical. No word yet on the terms involved.
Lannan was the odd man out in the Nationals’ rotation this past season, as he spent most of the year in the minors, but he posted a 4.13 ERA and 17/14 K/BB ratio over 32 2/3 innings in six starts with the big club. The 28-year-old southpaw owns a 4.01 ERA over six seasons in the majors.
The Phillies had a need for another starter after trading Vance Worley in the Ben Revere deal, so Lannan fits the bill. He’s set to join a rotation which projects to include Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee and Kyle Kendrick.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (83)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (81)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)