Dec 15, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that it’s a one-year deal with a $2.5 million base salary. He could make an additional $2.5 million in performance incentives. Given what we’ve seen in this market, this is a pretty nice deal for the Phillies.
10:50 AM: John Lannan was non-tendered by the Nationals last month, but he’s sticking around in the National League East.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies have agreed to a contract with Lannan, pending a physical. No word yet on the terms involved.
Lannan was the odd man out in the Nationals’ rotation this past season, as he spent most of the year in the minors, but he posted a 4.13 ERA and 17/14 K/BB ratio over 32 2/3 innings in six starts with the big club. The 28-year-old southpaw owns a 4.01 ERA over six seasons in the majors.
The Phillies had a need for another starter after trading Vance Worley in the Ben Revere deal, so Lannan fits the bill. He’s set to join a rotation which projects to include Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee and Kyle Kendrick.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)