Dec 15, 2012, 10:31 PM EST
Tragic news today out of southwestern Texas.
According to Jennifer Rios of the San Angelo Standard-Times, the father of Reds pitching prospect Mason Felt was killed Saturday morning when a truck that the 18-year-old left-hander was driving hit a median on Interstate 10 and flipped.
Richard Lee Felt, 51, was not wearing his seat belt and was pronounced dead on the scene. The younger Felt suffered critical injuries and had to be airlifted to a local hospital. Rios has the details:
The crash was reported about 10:15 a.m. on Interstate 10 about 4 miles west of Ozona, the Texas Department of Public Safety dispatcher said.
The driver, later identified as 18-year-old Mason Taylor Felt, was heading east on I-10 when his 2004 Ford F-150 pickup truck drifted onto the shoulder and off the road.
Felt overcorrected, went over both lanes of traffic into the center median and overturned, the dispatcher said.
Felt was the 172nd overall pick in the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft and signed shortly after for $317,800.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 42
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)