Dec 15, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Tragic news today out of southwestern Texas.
According to Jennifer Rios of the San Angelo Standard-Times, the father of Reds pitching prospect Mason Felt was killed Saturday morning when a truck that the 18-year-old left-hander was driving hit a median on Interstate 10 and flipped.
Richard Lee Felt, 51, was not wearing his seat belt and was pronounced dead on the scene. The younger Felt suffered critical injuries and had to be airlifted to a local hospital. Rios has the details:
The crash was reported about 10:15 a.m. on Interstate 10 about 4 miles west of Ozona, the Texas Department of Public Safety dispatcher said.
The driver, later identified as 18-year-old Mason Taylor Felt, was heading east on I-10 when his 2004 Ford F-150 pickup truck drifted onto the shoulder and off the road.
Felt overcorrected, went over both lanes of traffic into the center median and overturned, the dispatcher said.
Felt was the 172nd overall pick in the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft and signed shortly after for $317,800.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)