Dec 15, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Tragic news today out of southwestern Texas.
According to Jennifer Rios of the San Angelo Standard-Times, the father of Reds pitching prospect Mason Felt was killed Saturday morning when a truck that the 18-year-old left-hander was driving hit a median on Interstate 10 and flipped.
Richard Lee Felt, 51, was not wearing his seat belt and was pronounced dead on the scene. The younger Felt suffered critical injuries and had to be airlifted to a local hospital. Rios has the details:
The crash was reported about 10:15 a.m. on Interstate 10 about 4 miles west of Ozona, the Texas Department of Public Safety dispatcher said.
The driver, later identified as 18-year-old Mason Taylor Felt, was heading east on I-10 when his 2004 Ford F-150 pickup truck drifted onto the shoulder and off the road.
Felt overcorrected, went over both lanes of traffic into the center median and overturned, the dispatcher said.
Felt was the 172nd overall pick in the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft and signed shortly after for $317,800.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)