Dec 15, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Tragic news today out of southwestern Texas.
According to Jennifer Rios of the San Angelo Standard-Times, the father of Reds pitching prospect Mason Felt was killed Saturday morning when a truck that the 18-year-old left-hander was driving hit a median on Interstate 10 and flipped.
Richard Lee Felt, 51, was not wearing his seat belt and was pronounced dead on the scene. The younger Felt suffered critical injuries and had to be airlifted to a local hospital. Rios has the details:
The crash was reported about 10:15 a.m. on Interstate 10 about 4 miles west of Ozona, the Texas Department of Public Safety dispatcher said.
The driver, later identified as 18-year-old Mason Taylor Felt, was heading east on I-10 when his 2004 Ford F-150 pickup truck drifted onto the shoulder and off the road.
Felt overcorrected, went over both lanes of traffic into the center median and overturned, the dispatcher said.
Felt was the 172nd overall pick in the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft and signed shortly after for $317,800.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)