Dec 15, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Tragic news today out of southwestern Texas.
According to Jennifer Rios of the San Angelo Standard-Times, the father of Reds pitching prospect Mason Felt was killed Saturday morning when a truck that the 18-year-old left-hander was driving hit a median on Interstate 10 and flipped.
Richard Lee Felt, 51, was not wearing his seat belt and was pronounced dead on the scene. The younger Felt suffered critical injuries and had to be airlifted to a local hospital. Rios has the details:
The crash was reported about 10:15 a.m. on Interstate 10 about 4 miles west of Ozona, the Texas Department of Public Safety dispatcher said.
The driver, later identified as 18-year-old Mason Taylor Felt, was heading east on I-10 when his 2004 Ford F-150 pickup truck drifted onto the shoulder and off the road.
Felt overcorrected, went over both lanes of traffic into the center median and overturned, the dispatcher said.
Felt was the 172nd overall pick in the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft and signed shortly after for $317,800.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 32
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)