Twins among teams expected to watch Brandon Webb throw

Dec 15, 2012, 8:58 AM EDT

Brandon Webb rangers

Brandon Webb hasn’t thrown a pitch in the major leagues since Opening Day of 2009 due to nagging shoulder issues, but he hasn’t given up on the idea of a comeback.

According to Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reports that the Twins will be among the teams in attendance for a throwing session by Webb after the holidays. He hopes to impress someone enough to receive an invite to spring training.

Webb’s last comeback was in 2011 after signing with the Rangers, but he struggled in the minors while showing diminished velocity. He eventually went down with more shoulder issues and required rotator cuff surgery last August. The 33-year-old right-hander was noncommittal about a comeback in September, but it sounds like he’s going to give it one last go.

Webb owns an 87-62 record and 3.27 ERA over seven seasons in the majors. He placed first, second and second in the National League Cy Young balloting from 2006-08.

1. 13arod - Dec 15, 2012 at 10:03 AM

i hope he makes a good comeback he was an allstar pitcher

2. joeyashwi - Dec 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM

This totally makes sense for the Twins. It’s not like they have a roster full of injury prone players as it is.

• Jeremiah Graves - Dec 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM

…such as?

3. chicagocardinals - Dec 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I really hope he makes it back, was my favorite D-back until all of the injuries.

4. meadowlark89 - Dec 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Joel Zumaya ring a bell!

• wintwins - Dec 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM

First thing I thought of as well. Whatever. I guess I don’t care if it’s cheap or just one year.

Once the FO started moving guys for prospects I became very blase about how they fill the holes for the next season or two. I’m more interested in how Benson, Hicks, and Parmelee do this year than the team’s overall record.

• Jeremiah Graves - Dec 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Agreed, we’re definitely entering a transition phase now. We’ve moved out some contracts and we’ve accepted our role as cellar-dweller, but with an eye toward 2014-2015ish rather than just trying to patch holes. I like it. Take some fliers, why the hell not? Go after Sheets, Harden, Webb, Prior, Duchscherer, Bedard, and every other injury-prone starter in the world…why the hell not? If the price is right, you’re looking for lightning in a bottle, not someone to be at the helm of the next great Twins team.

5. timpaz - Dec 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Good Luck to Webbie was a great pitcher for the Dbacks for three years and a class guy.

6. lordfletcher - Dec 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM

as a Twins fan I say bring him to spring training no matter how he throws in this upcoming “throwing session ” … I mean, what could really be the downside of giving him a chance come spring time

7. ndnut - Dec 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

He can’t be worse than what we have for pitchers…

8. jeffa43 - Dec 16, 2012 at 11:38 AM

He could be our #2 in Houston right now.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3283)