Dec 15, 2012, 9:59 PM EST
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal provides the scoop:
The Yankees, sources say, are among the possibilities for [Vernon] Wells — the teams discussed him at the winter meetings, and Wells could fill the Yankees’ need for a right-handed hitting outfielder.
Wells has batted just .222 with a .667 OPS over the past two seasons and is owed salaries of $21 million in 2013 and 2014, but the Angels are surely willing to eat most of that remaining money. And Wells would probably be open to waiving his no-trade clause for a fresh start, and a chance at regular playing time.
Rosenthal says the Yankees are also “looking at” free agent Scott Hairston to fill their outfield vacancy but might not be willing to meet his desire for a two-year contract. The times, they certainly are a-changing.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)