Dec 15, 2012, 9:59 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal provides the scoop:
The Yankees, sources say, are among the possibilities for [Vernon] Wells — the teams discussed him at the winter meetings, and Wells could fill the Yankees’ need for a right-handed hitting outfielder.
Wells has batted just .222 with a .667 OPS over the past two seasons and is owed salaries of $21 million in 2013 and 2014, but the Angels are surely willing to eat most of that remaining money. And Wells would probably be open to waiving his no-trade clause for a fresh start, and a chance at regular playing time.
Rosenthal says the Yankees are also “looking at” free agent Scott Hairston to fill their outfield vacancy but might not be willing to meet his desire for a two-year contract. The times, they certainly are a-changing.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)