Dec 16, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Angels owner Arte Moreno told reporters soon after Josh Hamilton‘s introductory press conference on Saturday at Downtown Disney that there was “no special language” in the outfielder’s five-year, $125 million contract laying out consequences for a potential drug or alcohol relapse. But that doesn’t mean Anaheim’s higher-ups aren’t taking measures to ensure that Hamilton remains on the right path.
According to beat writer Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels have hired Hamilton’s accountability partner, Shayne Kelley, away from the Rangers. He will technically serve as a major league staff assistant for the Halos, but Kelley’s primary objective will be to ensure that Hamilton makes good decisions at home and on the road. That presumably involves regular check-ins and drug tests.
Hamilton had two known relapses during his time with Texas — most recently in February 2012.
The Angels are obviously hoping for five seasons of healthy, incident-free production from the former No. 1 overall pick, who told USA Today in 2006 that he had “literally tried every drug on the street.”
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)