Nick Swisher expected to visit Indians this week

Dec 16, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT

nick swisher getty Getty Images

The Indians got center fielder Drew Stubbs from the Reds (and Trevor Bauer from the Diamondbacks) in last week’s three-team, nine-player trade. Now they’re looking to acquire a new right fielder.

Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports that free agent Nick Swisher is scheduled to visit Indians officials at Progressive Field on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. He will presumably be presented with an offer at some point during the trip.

Swisher hit .272/.364/.473 with 24 home runs and 93 RBI in 148 games this summer for the Yankees. The 32-year-old is a .256/.361/.467 career hitter in the major leagues and has averaged 23 homers per season.

The Indians made a four-year, $44 million offer to Shane Victorino earlier this winter before he signed with Boston. One wonders if they’ll simply direct that same exact same proposal in the direction of Swisher.

1. ilovefootball2525 - Dec 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM

They’ll miss him in NY.

• privy1014 - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM

To a degree 2525….The Yankees got the best Swisher years and he won’t match those numbers again. He was part of 2009 championship team so yes he holds a special place in Yankee fans hearts.

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Let the Nick Swisher “show me the money” tour begin.

3. uyf1950 - Dec 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I think I remember reading once where Nick Swisher said he always wanted to play in Cleveland for the Indians.

• mlblogsrichroehl - Dec 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM

why?

• freeagentsignee - Dec 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM

He is from that area m.

• freeagentsignee - Dec 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I think he played for the Buckeyes.

4. Kevin Gillman - Dec 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM

This is where Terry Francona earns his paycheck. I have heard Antonelli talk before, and he puts me to sleep everytime he talks, so Chris just needs to keep his mouth shut, and every now and then say “I agree with Terry, what do you say Nick”?

5. Lukehart80 - Dec 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I doubt $44M will be enough to land Swisher, but I’d be happy to see the Indians offer him something like 4 years, $52M. He certainly seems like he’s worth an extra $2M over Victorino.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I would pay him the extra $2M only if he prefers cake.

6. shaggylocks - Dec 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I can’t for the life of me figure out what’s going on in that picture.

• Pierre Cruzatte - Dec 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Since the fellow standing in the dugout seems to be a New York Yankee, I think it’s safe to assume that he’s stealing that poor serviceman’s souvenir.

7. chaseutley - Dec 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I’m not crazy about the current tendering system when it comes to compensatory picks. I get that it needs to be there for high-end guys like Hamilton and Greinke, but ponying up the same first round pick for Bourn or Swisher doesn’t seem 100% equitable.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Why? A team has to make a decision whether they want to offer a contending offer of (this year was about $13M) or not offer it at all. If the player accepts, you get the play for that salary, if not, you get a compensatory pick in next year’s draft.

It’s light years better than the old system, where relievers would often get screwed.

8. whitdog23 - Dec 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM

horrible pickup….but all indians fans will see is a name they recognize and just think he’s good because of that. sorta like they recognize grady or hafner or jimenez from a no hitter. all wastes

• lostsok - Dec 17, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Game in, game out, Swisher is a solid player. Cleveland is much closer to being a contender with Swisher over Ezequiel Carrera.

9. mrklutch1011 - Dec 17, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Whitdog WTH are you talking about?? Your post is more worthless than anyone in their organization. Sizemore was/is a 5 tool player and home grown. Really not his fault his body couldn’t keep up with how hard he played. They were stuck with Hafner who showed signs between injuries but do you see the fans begging for his return? Jimenez was a trade that most fans didn’t want because they wanted to see pomeranz and white make it to the show. Swisher (a former buckeye) is a switch hitter with descent power, can work deep into counts, plays quality defense, and oh yeah he’s a Champion. Where Swishers skill set lacks he makes up for in baseball entangables, knowledge and demeanor. Even though he won’t come cheap it sounds like a guy Francona would love to have rally his young squad.

The fans will always be loyal in Cleveland no matter who’s out there (Just ask Ricky Vaughn or Willy Mays Hayes)

10. mrobinson14 - Dec 17, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Honestly think he’ll be an Indian. Offer may be 4yr./$56 mil

11. freeagentsignee - Dec 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Good luck Nick!

12. riley58 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Damn it. I will miss Swishy Sweet. Solid performer for the Yankees, BUT if he has to leave…I hope it’s to my second favorite team: The Cleveland Indians.)

All the trade deadline news to know