Dec 16, 2012, 7:52 PM EDT
The deal includes $1.5 million in incentives for the rehabbing right-hander.
The soon-to-be 29-year-old Pelfrey had a 2.29 ERA in three starts for the Mets last season before undergoing Tommy John surgery. He went 15-9 with a 3.66 ERA in 2010, but he slipped to 7-13 with a 4.74 ERA in 2011. The Mets non-tendered him earlier this month rather than pay him $5 million-$6 million in arbitration.
Once healthy, Pelfrey will join fellow National League imports Vance Worley and Kevin Correia in a rotation that has just one sure returnee in Scott Diamond. The Twins could also add one more veteran to compete with holdovers Nick Blackburn, Liam Hendriks and Cole De Vries for an opening.
The gamble on Pelfrey is interesting, considering that the Twins let the similarly positioned Scott Baker go to the Cubs in free agency earlier this winter. Baker, likewise rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, signed for $5.5 million, plus incentives. And unlike Pelfrey, Baker has already proven he can cut it in the AL. The Twins got burnt last year by Jason Marquis, who had no AL experience and was roasted to the turn of an 8.47 ERA in seven starts before earning his release.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)