Dec 16, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
The Nationals and Phillies seemed like the most logical potential suitors for free agent center fielder Michael Bourn when this offseason got underway.
Here’s one theory — if we can call it that — from the well-connected Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:
It will be interesting to see where Bourn’s market goes. Some believe the Yankees are quietly interested and will pounce if the price comes down, which would give them the leadoff hitter they have wanted for some time.
Cafardo also mentions the Rangers — who are desperate for some kind of splash — as a “possibility.”
The Yankees are trying to get their payroll under $189 million by the start of the 2014 season to avoid another luxury tax hit and haven’t seriously engaged any free agents who are thought to be seeking long-term deals. But Bourn might ultimately come pretty cheap, and he does fit one of the Bombers’ primary needs.
Bourn batted .274/.348/.391 with a career-high nine home runs and 57 RBI across 703 plate appearances this past season for the Braves. The fleet-footed 29-year-old also stole 42 bases in 55 attempts.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)