Dec 17, 2012, 11:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the deal is worth around $15 million. Nothing to get too worked up about, but long-term deals for relievers can be risky business.
11:08 PM: Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants and Sanitago Casilla have agreed to a three-year extension, pending a physical.
No word yet on the terms involved, but the deal includes a club/vesting option for 2016. Casilla was arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter after making $2.2 million in 2012, so the deal buys out at least his first two years of free agency.
Casilla owns a dominant 2.22 ERA in 74 appearances since joining the Giants in 2010. Only Mike Adams and Eric O’Flaherty have a lower ERA (min. 170 innings pitched) during the same timespan. The 32-year-old right-hander took over as the Giants’ closer this past season after Brian Wilson had Tommy John surgery, notching 25 saves in 31 chances, but he’s expected to pitch in a set-up capacity in 2013 now that Sergio Romo has staked claim to the role.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)