Dec 17, 2012, 11:11 PM EST
UPDATE: Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the deal is worth around $15 million. Nothing to get too worked up about, but long-term deals for relievers can be risky business.
11:08 PM: Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants and Sanitago Casilla have agreed to a three-year extension, pending a physical.
No word yet on the terms involved, but the deal includes a club/vesting option for 2016. Casilla was arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter after making $2.2 million in 2012, so the deal buys out at least his first two years of free agency.
Casilla owns a dominant 2.22 ERA in 74 appearances since joining the Giants in 2010. Only Mike Adams and Eric O’Flaherty have a lower ERA (min. 170 innings pitched) during the same timespan. The 32-year-old right-hander took over as the Giants’ closer this past season after Brian Wilson had Tommy John surgery, notching 25 saves in 31 chances, but he’s expected to pitch in a set-up capacity in 2013 now that Sergio Romo has staked claim to the role.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)