Dec 17, 2012, 11:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the deal is worth around $15 million. Nothing to get too worked up about, but long-term deals for relievers can be risky business.
11:08 PM: Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants and Sanitago Casilla have agreed to a three-year extension, pending a physical.
No word yet on the terms involved, but the deal includes a club/vesting option for 2016. Casilla was arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter after making $2.2 million in 2012, so the deal buys out at least his first two years of free agency.
Casilla owns a dominant 2.22 ERA in 74 appearances since joining the Giants in 2010. Only Mike Adams and Eric O’Flaherty have a lower ERA (min. 170 innings pitched) during the same timespan. The 32-year-old right-hander took over as the Giants’ closer this past season after Brian Wilson had Tommy John surgery, notching 25 saves in 31 chances, but he’s expected to pitch in a set-up capacity in 2013 now that Sergio Romo has staked claim to the role.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)