If you’re anti-Barry Bonds now, how can your position about him change over time?

Dec 17, 2012, 11:07 AM EST

Barry Bonds headshot

The San Francisco Chronicle is running a one-on-one of local writers with Hall of Fame votes. Bruce Jenkins takes the pro-Barry Bonds argument, Ann Killion the anti-Bonds. These arguments aren’t rhetorical, though, as they reflect their own votes.

Each side makes a now-familiar case so I won’t rehash them, but Killion’s does add something I’ve seen an awful lot of lately — Bob Ryan had it in the column linked this morning too — and which I find curious: the “I won’t vote for Bonds now, but I may change my mind later” thing:

Just as my views about Bonds have changed over the past decade, they could change again over the next 15 years that his name remains on the ballot. While I’m not one to withhold my vote based on whether I think someone is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, a process I’ve always found inane, I am willing to keep my mind open as the years pass.

The steroid story, as we’ve learned in 2012, is not a closed chapter. It continues to play out and in 15 years, with baseball under a new commissioner and with the perspective of time, the story and its fallout may look different. I could change my mind and check the box next to Barry Bonds.

But I can’t do it right now.

I don’t follow this, at least with respect to Bonds.  While we may have doubts about some players, there are no doubts about Bonds and steroids. He did it. He clearly did it. To suggest otherwise is pretty unreasonable, really. There is no truly relevant information about Barry Bonds playing career or PED use that is going to come out. Waiting will get you nowhere in this respect.

So, it seems, the only possible thing Killion and others who make this argument could be waiting for is for people (i.e. people like herself) to become less dogmatic about PEDs in baseball in the future. To give that “perspective” she’s admitting is possible. Which is a strange position to be taking: “PEDs in baseball is a horrible, horrible thing, so horrible that I can’t abide honoring a person who did them, but maybe in a few years I will be proven wrong about that and I will then change my mind.”

It seems like the only possible basis one’s position could change here is if they discover that Bonds’ transgressions were no different than the transgressions of hundreds of other ballplayers. Which is something we pro-Bonds people are arguing now, but which folks like Killion dimiss out of hand as beside the point. But she’s willing to buy that later?

There may be borderline cases out there for whom this treatment makes sense. McGwire, maybe. Palmeiro, perhaps. But it seems to me that if you’re anti-Bonds now, intellectual consistency demands that you be against him later.

Latest Posts
  1. The Cardinals are boring

Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Lackey yawn AP

Just ask them. They’ll tell you so.

2. Orioles negotiating buyout with Suk-min Yoon one year into $5.75 million deal

Mar 5, 2015, 1:13 PM EST

suk-min yoon korea getty Getty Images

He would then return to Korea, where the 28-year-old was a former MVP.

3. The Josh Hamilton decision could come as early as next week

Mar 5, 2015, 11:39 AM EST

Josh Hamilton Josh Hamilton

The union and the league are butting heads, but the deadlock should soon be broken.

4. It’s like the New York Post isn’t even trying anymore

Mar 5, 2015, 7:53 AM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP

I guess it’s spring training for tabloid headline writers too.

5. Angels, Huston Street expected to exchange offers soon

Mar 4, 2015, 11:59 PM EST

huston street getty Getty Images

MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez has an update on the ongoing extension negotiations between Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and veteran closer Huston Street …

6. Ji-Man Choi suffered a fractured right fibula

Mar 4, 2015, 11:13 PM EST

ji-man choi getty Getty Images

The Mariners won their Cactus League opener Wednesday against the Padres, but it was not a totally problem-free afternoon in Peoria, Arizona.

7. Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene

Mar 4, 2015, 10:26 PM EST

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

Suspending Hamilton for a year would serve no purpose punitive systems are designed to serve. And would most likely not serve Josh Hamilton at all.

8. Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play

Mar 4, 2015, 9:52 PM EST

josh hamilton angels getty Getty Images

A four-person panel appointed by Major League Baseball to decide how Josh Hamilton should be handled following his recent relapse that involved at least cocaine has reportedly reached a stalemate.

9. Rays sign reliever Jim Miller to minor league deal

Mar 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EST

jim miller getty Getty Images

The deal includes an invitation to the major league side of spring training, though Miller seems doubtful to win a spot on Tampa Bay’s Opening Day roster.

10. Tim Collins leaves spring debut with tight left elbow

Mar 4, 2015, 8:21 PM EST

tim collins getty Getty Images

Royals reliever Tim Collins missed time last season with a flexor strain in his left elbow and again had an issue with the joint Wednesday in his 2015 Cactus League debut …

11. Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut

Mar 4, 2015, 7:17 PM EST

joc pederson getty Getty Images

It was an enjoyable first day of Cactus League competition for Dodgers prospect Joc Pederson.

12. Masahiro Tanaka expected to make his 2015 Grapefruit League debut on March 12

Mar 4, 2015, 6:22 PM EST

tanaka getty Getty Images

He successfully rehabbed a torn UCL in his right elbow last season and the Yankees’ fingers remain crossed that the 26-year-old from Japan will be able to avoid Tommy John elbow reconstructive surgery.

13. Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments

Mar 4, 2015, 4:18 PM EST

Billy Bean

While it’s clear that the two do not see eye to eye, Billy Bean is choosing to look on the bright side of yesterday’s comments from Daniel Murphy.

1. M. Upton (2556)