Dec 17, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Two years ago Lowell Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat wrote this when talking about Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro for the Hall of Fame:
I compare PED users to murderers — of course, it’s not the same thing. But please follow my reasoning.
He’s toned it down in the past two years. This is the PED-user analogy from his latest Hall of Fame column:
It’s like saying some people who commit burglary get away with it, so we can’t arrest and convict this burglar right here we caught red-handed.
So maybe Ann Killion was right and time does make things better! In a few more years these guys will have gone from capital crimes to misdemeanors!
Not that Cohn is softening. He may not consider these guys murderers anymore, but his latest Hall of Fame column tries to make up for the blunted rhetoric with sheer volume.
I am looking at three names on baseball’s Hall of Fame ballot … those three names fill me with varying degrees of disgust. I will not vote for any of them.
I don’t know what Alan Trammell, Julio Franco and Reggie Sanders did to poor Lowell, but I hope it was worth it.
There are moral criteria for players to enter the Hall. Don’t tell me Ty Cobb wasn’t a nice man. You know what I’m talking about.
Cooperstown is not a statistics Hall of Fame. It is a Hall of Fame with certain standards of behavior.
If Ty Cobb makes your cut, no, it doesn’t have standards of behavior.
Clemens was mentioned 82 times in the Mitchell Report. Excuse me, but that’s a lot of times.
That’s the kind of analysis that should make the BBWAA happy that they let anyone who has ever held a credential continue to vote for the Hall of Fame for the rest of their life.
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 14
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 110
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (110)