Dec 17, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Two years ago Lowell Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat wrote this when talking about Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro for the Hall of Fame:
I compare PED users to murderers — of course, it’s not the same thing. But please follow my reasoning.
He’s toned it down in the past two years. This is the PED-user analogy from his latest Hall of Fame column:
It’s like saying some people who commit burglary get away with it, so we can’t arrest and convict this burglar right here we caught red-handed.
So maybe Ann Killion was right and time does make things better! In a few more years these guys will have gone from capital crimes to misdemeanors!
Not that Cohn is softening. He may not consider these guys murderers anymore, but his latest Hall of Fame column tries to make up for the blunted rhetoric with sheer volume.
I am looking at three names on baseball’s Hall of Fame ballot … those three names fill me with varying degrees of disgust. I will not vote for any of them.
I don’t know what Alan Trammell, Julio Franco and Reggie Sanders did to poor Lowell, but I hope it was worth it.
There are moral criteria for players to enter the Hall. Don’t tell me Ty Cobb wasn’t a nice man. You know what I’m talking about.
Cooperstown is not a statistics Hall of Fame. It is a Hall of Fame with certain standards of behavior.
If Ty Cobb makes your cut, no, it doesn’t have standards of behavior.
Clemens was mentioned 82 times in the Mitchell Report. Excuse me, but that’s a lot of times.
That’s the kind of analysis that should make the BBWAA happy that they let anyone who has ever held a credential continue to vote for the Hall of Fame for the rest of their life.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 21
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)