Dec 17, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Two years ago Lowell Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat wrote this when talking about Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro for the Hall of Fame:
I compare PED users to murderers — of course, it’s not the same thing. But please follow my reasoning.
He’s toned it down in the past two years. This is the PED-user analogy from his latest Hall of Fame column:
It’s like saying some people who commit burglary get away with it, so we can’t arrest and convict this burglar right here we caught red-handed.
So maybe Ann Killion was right and time does make things better! In a few more years these guys will have gone from capital crimes to misdemeanors!
Not that Cohn is softening. He may not consider these guys murderers anymore, but his latest Hall of Fame column tries to make up for the blunted rhetoric with sheer volume.
I am looking at three names on baseball’s Hall of Fame ballot … those three names fill me with varying degrees of disgust. I will not vote for any of them.
I don’t know what Alan Trammell, Julio Franco and Reggie Sanders did to poor Lowell, but I hope it was worth it.
There are moral criteria for players to enter the Hall. Don’t tell me Ty Cobb wasn’t a nice man. You know what I’m talking about.
Cooperstown is not a statistics Hall of Fame. It is a Hall of Fame with certain standards of behavior.
If Ty Cobb makes your cut, no, it doesn’t have standards of behavior.
Clemens was mentioned 82 times in the Mitchell Report. Excuse me, but that’s a lot of times.
That’s the kind of analysis that should make the BBWAA happy that they let anyone who has ever held a credential continue to vote for the Hall of Fame for the rest of their life.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)