Dec 17, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
Well, this is a new one.
MLB just announced that Rays minor leaguer Cody Rogers has been suspended 50 games for “refusing to take an offseason drug test.”
Rogers, a 24-year-old outfielder who was a seventh-round draft pick in 2009, spent this season hitting .244 with four homers and a .655 OPS in 112 games at high Single-A.
I guess technically he can now claim to have not actually failed the drug test, but … well, the punishment is the same anyway.
Sort of reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld choosing not to run the race back in the ninth grade.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 22
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 2
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)