Dec 17, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
Well, this is a new one.
MLB just announced that Rays minor leaguer Cody Rogers has been suspended 50 games for “refusing to take an offseason drug test.”
Rogers, a 24-year-old outfielder who was a seventh-round draft pick in 2009, spent this season hitting .244 with four homers and a .655 OPS in 112 games at high Single-A.
I guess technically he can now claim to have not actually failed the drug test, but … well, the punishment is the same anyway.
Sort of reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld choosing not to run the race back in the ninth grade.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)