Dec 17, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
Well, this is a new one.
MLB just announced that Rays minor leaguer Cody Rogers has been suspended 50 games for “refusing to take an offseason drug test.”
Rogers, a 24-year-old outfielder who was a seventh-round draft pick in 2009, spent this season hitting .244 with four homers and a .655 OPS in 112 games at high Single-A.
I guess technically he can now claim to have not actually failed the drug test, but … well, the punishment is the same anyway.
Sort of reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld choosing not to run the race back in the ninth grade.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 27
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 54
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)