The Yankees’ non-Youkilis options for third base were … interesting

Dec 17, 2012, 7:10 AM EST

Cody Ransom

I like the Kevin Youkilis signing by the Yankees. I’m not sure he has a return to form in him — it’s not the years, it’s the mileage, as the man once said — but if he does bounce back he’s gonna be nice to have around even if A-Rod does recover.

And let’s face it: the Yankees didn’t have unlimited options at third base. Indeed, as Sweeny Murti noted over the weekend, the pickings were pretty darn slim:

It is interesting to note that once word leaked out early this month about A-Rod’s status, the Yankees received plenty of inquiries from players and agents who felt they could help fill the hole. One was from Cody Ransom, the man who started the 2009 season as the Opening Day 3rd baseman when A-Rod has his first hip surgery.

I’m assuming some have chosen to have amnesia over this, but there were Yankees writers [cough] Ian O’Connor [cough] who made the straight-faced argument in early 2009 that the Yankees were better off with Ransom than A-Rod. It was all tied up in A-Rod’s PED revelation from that spring. But rather than simply note that it was a bummer of a story, some dudes decided to throw reason aside and actually say that A-Rod shouldn’t have gotten his job back when he came off the DL following his hip surgery.  Of course A-Rod went on to hit .286/.402/.532 with 30 homers, 100 RBI and led the Yankees to a World Series championship. Ransom was DFA’d that August.

Another one Murti mentions: Troy Glaus, who called the Yankees saying he was ready for a comeback. The same Troy Glaus who took all of 2011 off and then a year ago said he considered himself retired. In his last season, with the Braves, Glaus was limited to first base because he couldn’t make the throw from third.

So, yes, Kevin Youkilis is a pretty good option.

1. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 17, 2012 at 8:00 AM

And don’t forget the years of columns that Lupica wrote saying that the yanks would bebetter off with Scott Brosius than Arod. For hilarity sake, search the FJM archives for them.

• Old Gator - Dec 17, 2012 at 8:08 AM

See, and I always thought Lupica was trying to be funny. And he’s still trying.

2. paperlions - Dec 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM

They could have traded for Michael Young.

• phillyphreak - Dec 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM

No one was out-Amaroing Amaro for MY.

3. pisano - Dec 17, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Say what you will about Youkilis, but no one will put out more effort and give all he has, the guy will give 100%. Hopefully he’ll get revived playing for the Yankees, time will tell. When he was with Boston, I always said he was the last guy I’d want to see at bat with the game on the line, maybe he can do the same for the Yankees.

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM

So, I guess through process of elimination, we can say with some certainly that you are not Bobby V posting on HBT?

• damnyankee13 - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

me too

4. deathmonkey41 - Dec 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM

All the options mentioned above are still better alternatives than Ramiro Pena. Yes, I know he’s gone and I should move on, but it’s going to take time. I still have nightmares about how someone, who is such a weak hitter and a liability in the field, can get the major league callup so many times!

5. cackalackyank - Dec 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM

We will have to wait and see how this works out with Youk being in the Bronx. It does seem that he was the best option available. In all honesty given the “mileage” I am concerned that this could end up with A-Rod and Youk on the DL …and Nunez playing third. (Shudder)

• pisano - Dec 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM

cackalack…..God forbid Nunez @ third, the guy would wind up in traction if he was put there, but while agree with Youk @ third, I still don’t understand why Keppinger wasn’t signed for 3 years @ the same money, aside from getting under 189mil, there had to be another reason for passing on him.

• cackalackyank - Dec 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I completely agree and believe me when I typed “shudder” at the idea of Nunez @third I was thinking something much more shall we say…emphatic. Nunez with a glove is the stuff of nightmares. Of course maybe Kepp just did not want to play in NY or with NYY.

6. nukeladouche - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I wonder what Graig Nettles is doing these days.

7. nukeladouche - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I wonder what Graig Nettles is up to these days.

8. nukeladouche - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Wow. Something wrong with the comment function today. Disregard one of the above posts.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5428)