A.J. Pierzynski is meeting with the Rangers

Dec 18, 2012, 3:48 PM EST

A.J. Pierzynski Getty Images

Last week several reports had the Rangers interested in A.J. Pierzynski and now Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago writes that the free agent catcher was in Texas to meet with the team today.

After losing Josh Hamilton and Mike Napoli the Rangers have been looking for lineup help and the left-handed-hitting Pierzynski would be a nice fit among their mostly right-handed bats.

He’s coming off a career-year in which he hit .278 with 27 homers and an .827 OPS in 135 games for the White Sox, but 35-year-old catchers tend not to be such good bets and Pierzynski last topped an .800 OPS in 2003.

Right now Geovany Soto sits top the Rangers’ catching depth chart, but a Pierzynski-Soto platoon could be very productive matched up based on lefties/righties.

1. uyf1950 - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:17 PM

No, say it ain’t so. He was the exception I was hoping the Yankees would make to sign a starting catcher to replace Martin. Oh well the Rangers deserve a little Christmas cheer after losing out on all the other players they were interested in.

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Sorry uyf, but I’m glad he’s not in the AL Beast.

• uyf1950 - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM

cur68, I’m glad the Jays have more catchers then they need. Otherwise he might be heading north of the border. So I guess we both have something to be thankful for.

Take care and just so I don’t forget and have a Happy Holiday Season.

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You too, man. I hope you’ll forgive me for not wishing for Santa Cashman to get you something nice? Still, even if he does, I think its going to be a hell of a season coming up. Cheers.

• uyf1950 - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM

cur68, my friend.You are always a perfect gentlemen on this site. I understand totally what you are saying. Take care.

2. historiophiliac - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Pretty sure AJ won’t be leaving money on the table.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester