Another reason to vote for Tim Raines for the Hall of Fame

Dec 18, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT

Tim Raines

Because he really needs an upgrade in his offseason appearance schedule. As it is, he’s going to appear on December 26 at the Baseball Legends expo at Quechan Casino Resort near Yuma. In the company of some fellow major leaguers:

The famous players coming to Yuma for the event are Cecil Fielder, Rudy Seánez, Kenneth Landreaux, Tim Raines and Kevin Mitchell.

No disrespect to those guys, but Tim Raines is in a class above. He should be signing autographs at casino events in larger cities, with Hall of Famers, not occasional All-Stars!

Or I guess we can just vote him in because he was one of the best players in baseball throughout his career. Still, any evidence we can marshal in support …

1. braddavery - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM

It would not shock me if it was only Raines and Morris who make it in this year.

2. eshine76 - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I agree that Raines is head and shoulders above these guys, but he never made a catch like this…

That’s worth an autograph.

• redassranch - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM

He would have been camped under it.

• eshine76 - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:46 PM

True

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Mitchell makes that catch LOOK hard by slow-assing it and having to use his bare hand. Raines would have made it look easy, used his glove and been facing the infield after the catch.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM

My Father used to always call it “drag-assing.” But “slow-assing” works as well.

3. melsh13 - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM

It should be worded:
    The famous players coming are Tim Raines and Cecil Fielder. Also making an appearance are Rudy Seanez ….

4. digbysellers - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM

These guys were mostly just ham-n-eggers their whole career. Poor Timmy.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I like ham. I like eggs. What is your problem Sellers?

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Maybe they’re green eggs & ham? I understand some don’t care for them and will not eat them.

5. paperlions - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Raines is starting to gain some momentum, but he hasn’t even hit 50%, yet….still promising that he added about 18% over the last 2 years.

• xmatt0926x - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

That’s because some of the writers are starting to slowly devlop an understanding and appreciation for the more advanced stats and using them when they make their decisions. The only question is whether or not Raines will have any eligibility left by the time the tide turns enough where stat oriented writers don’t have to write a billion articles about how close minded the old school writers are being.

• ezthinking - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM

It’s not advanced stats, it pulling your head out of your ass and realize that baseball was being played in 26 cities during the ’80s, not just where ever you used to write about baseball from.

• paperlions - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Yeah, you don’t even have to use advanced stats to see how fantastic Raines was….people just weren’t paying attention….same with Trammel and Whittaker of the Tigers. Trammel was every bit the players Larkin was and Whittaker was every bit the player Sandberg was….but for some reason, a lot of HOF voters just weren’t paying any attention.

Funny that a mediocre pitcher like Jack Morris gets so much support, but middle infielders that could play good defense and were highly productive offensive players during a low-offense era can’t get any love at all.

• clydeserra - Dec 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM

not to be that guy, but 24 cities

6. bobwsc - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM

not sure it gets better than those uni’s.

7. timpaz - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Could you imagine the salary “The Rock” would demand in today’s market, hope he gets in this year

8. vegagreenleaf - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I know I’m in the minority on here, but based on watching Raines actually play ball, I don’t think he’s a hall of famer. Great player? Absolutely? One of the best of all time? Nah.

• Cran Boy - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM

When did you see him play? If it was the 90s, I see your point. But I’m old enough to seen him in the 1980s – devastating ballplayer.

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Good point. I saw George Brett play once. He went 0-4. Clearly not a Hall of Famer.

• clydeserra - Dec 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I watched him. Albeit from a far, but he was 1000% a hall of famer

9. cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Raines always seem to make the spectacular look easy. It occasionally hurt him in terms of the amount of publicity he got. Now more so when its HOF consideration time. These days, as free agent in his prime, he’d be getting Jose Reyes money.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Spot on Cur. Except…for my money….Tim Raines is where it’s at.
      I am talking….”two turn tables and a microphone…where it’s at.”

10. Just a Fan - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM

It’s a shame he hasn’t been elected already! He was one of favorite players growing up. If he were playing today, he still would be. What is the argument for not letting Timmy in?

• thereisaparty - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:52 PM

He used drugs, and he is not Rickey Henderson.

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Are you seriously contending that Ricky Henderson didn’t do drugs? You know this how? And if drug use is a criterion for non-induction better start emptying the HOF, then. Hank Aaron used drugs. Lots of guys, many in the HOF, used drugs. Its a viable statement that Babe Ruth and many of his contemporaries used illegal drugs (alcohol was prohibited for a time when he played and I GUARANTEE you he drank it. Alcohol fits every definition of a drug). That black and white argument you’re trying to make: it doesn’t wash.

• thereisaparty - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Whoa. Slow down. I was not stating why I don’t think he should be in the Hall of Fame. I am a huge Tim Raines fan. I was merely responding to the inquiry as to what the arguments are against him.

The writers/voters know that Tim Raines abused drugs during his playing days. And it appears that players with any connection to the Pittsburgh drug trials are not given their fair share of votes by the BBWAA (see: Dave Parker, Keith Hernandez).

Re: Rickey – Raines is unfairly compared to him, like Trammell to Cal Ripken Jr.

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Oh.

My bad. I go off sometimes. Sorry.

11. lostsok - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Good ‘ol Rock. Nothing beats Rock.

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Not that I’m complaining, because it always makes me smile, but has anyone else noticed that on nearly ever post, someone manages to find a way to tie in a golden-era Simpsons quote?

• snowbirdgothic - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM

That’s because Craig is old, and wolves are after him.

• nukeladouche - Dec 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Paper covers Rock.

• jiminthebay - Dec 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM

paper

12. millersirish1986 - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

That was just a bad read on a fly ball…raines would of snapped who ever hit it.

13. louiespoon - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

FRANK THOMAS…..

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4054)