Dec 18, 2012, 12:53 PM EST
In their search for outfield help the Mets have acquired Collin Cowgill from the A’s for minor leaguer Jefry Marte.
Cowgill, who went from Arizona to Oakland in last offseason’s Trevor Cahill deal, is 26 years old and has hit just .255 with a .631 OPS in 74 games as a big leaguer.
He put up huge numbers at Triple-A in 2011, but slumped this year and the former fifth-round pick is a career .291 hitter with a .371 on-base percentage and .470 slugging percentage in the minors.
He’s capable of playing all three outfield spots and hits right-handed, so Cowgill has a good chance to fill a bench role for the Mets or perhaps work his way into a platoon gig versus lefties.
Marte is a 22-year-old third baseman who spent this season hitting .251 with a .687 OPS in 129 games at Double-A. He’s yet to crack a .750 OPS in four full seasons, so the price tag for Cowgill wasn’t much.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 0
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 21
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)