NBC SportsTalk: Breaking down the Dickey deal

Dec 18, 2012, 6:31 AM EDT

R.A. Dickey AP

How you can tell NBC Sports Network is not ESPN: they brought in a talking head who was allowed to say that both sides did well in a deal rather than force him to pick one side and fight for it as if his life depended on it.

Of course, if they’d pay me Skip Bayless money I’d argue that the 1951 St. Louis Browns won the Dickey trade. I’m not some starry-eyed idealist here.

Also: how mad would Kuselias have been if I also wore the red pocket square, which would put is in the same outfit? Tune in next time to see!

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. bcjim - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:11 AM

29$M for a 38yo dude already obligated to pitch this year for 5$M can in no way be described as a good deal. Now its not pujols or Arod bad….but its bad.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:18 AM

that is ridiculous, you see the money the Saux have been throwing around, dude is a bargain.

get real dude!

• spyder13met - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Your post is way off the mark. The $29 mil is actually $30 mil, but doesn’t replace the $5 mil this year. your figure is over a 3 yr period which breaks down to $10 mill. While you mention his age, you fail to mention he won the Cy Young and GIBBY for best pitcher in the Majors. This wasn’t one lucky year as the ERA over the last three years is under 3.00 (among the best in the Majors)

You also fail to see how this contract compares with the contracts of pitchers with half of his talent and success during the least three yrs. Your post is biased and not well thought out.

• datcocokid - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Either I’m reading your post wrong or you’re backing me up, I can’t tell? I am a jays fan as I’m sure you can tell but I think the value the jays got in this deal is very high and going to help the team immediately and for the next 3-4 years with the club option in 2016 worth 12 million. I have been so impressed with anthropolis whether it be the marlins or dickey deal or trading Vernon wells 24 million dollar per year salary (which he inherited). The guy just turned a 73 win team into the world series favorite (per Vegas at 8-1) in less than a month based solely on his drafting ability and trading insight. Either way you look at it, jays fans should be excited were finally making moves and look to be set up to make serious runs at the division until atleast 2016. Let’s go blue jays

• datcocokid - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

1) jpa doesnt have a bum knee like tda, people seem to be forgetting he entirely blew out his knee last season, which is a pretty important body part for a catcher
      2) i dont care what numbers they had in the minors, vegas is an inflated hitters league anyways
      3) jpa has underachieved as far as the pro scouts think because when he came up he was also a highly touted player and theres no reason to think he wont keep improving so the difference in the two may not be as big as people think
      4) jpa doesnt call pitches, like on most teams, the catchers look to the bench for pitch calling so all the people crying about jpa pitch calling should stop
      5) tda isnt a great defensive catcher from what ive read but i havent read everything
      6) tda would not be helping our team in the next year or maybe even two
      7) this team has been assembled to win this year and through 2016 and tda doesnt really fit in that plan
      8) even if you traded jpa, buck wouldnt have been in the deal and tda wouldnt be getting run anyways
      9) good teams trade prospects for proven players, which cy young winners obviously are
      10) who do you remember more as a blue jay- jeff kent or david cone and his 7 total starts as a blue jay? we traded a 7 time all star in kent for 7 starts in cone and won the world series because of it…im not saying the jays are about to win the world series for sure obviously but thats why these moves are happening
      11) dickey has no ligament in his elbow and throws a pitch that 95% of the time doesnt wear the arm down and he pitched a career high 230 innings last year (As a 37 year old) who cares if he’s 38
      12) we got the cy young winner for almost half of what worse pitchers got this week and less than guys like ryan dempster and the like
      13) prospects can be hyped as much as they want, in a next post i can put together a list of probably 50 guys who were supposed to be as good or better than tda and ended up as busts so you never know
      14) people are complaining that we didnt trade tda last year for latos or whoever—the reason for that is because we didnt have the team in place we do today and it wouldnt have made any sense for us to make that move because we hadnt committed to winning at that point AND that was before he blew out his knee, which as im sure you can appreciate, is a pretty important body part to stay healthy as a catcher as i said earlier
      15) syndergaard has only pitched in A ball even and wouldnt help your team for at least a couple years
      16) the jays still have Sanchez who is ranked as a higher prospect than him anyways
      17) everyone seems to complain that when the jays hoard prospects theyre always rebuilding and have a mediocre team and its unfair they play in the al east and now are making calculated moves to get better and win this year with some urgency and people are complaining, which i dont and wont understand
      18) teams who win trade their prospects for players who can help their current team, if their current team is strong enough to compete and AA obviously thinks the jays have that (i do too, not that i count for much of anything)
      19) its not like the jays farm system has been completely wiped out
      20) this is an exciting time to be a fan of anything in toronto, which you cant really say for about a decade so try to embrace and emjoy it because i just gave you 20 reasons of why jays fans should

2. fanofevilempire - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM

don’t play with the mother ship…………..

ESPN is BULL, I DUMPED FIRST TAKE FOR DAN PATRICK.

Good luck to RA, did the Mets have to send him to another country, geez!!

I hope the Canadians treat him well!!

like they say in Canada, adios amigos…….

3. darthicarus - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but the video doesn’t load in Chrome.

• Pierre Cruzatte - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Same problem for me on mobile. I suppose It’s old news that NBC’s video platform is shitty.

I think we can call this the “Calcaterra Gambit”: to get the major network platform, you have to give up any hope of first-class site functionality/design.

• spyder13met - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It loaded for me and I’m using Chrome.

4. proudlycanadian - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Interesting story in the Toronto Star. AA keeps his trades quiet, so I was surprised at the leaks. AA explained that the agreement was actually made on Thursday. The leaks occurred after he had signed off on it. Next, medical records had to be checked, and agents had to be contacted. He first talked with Dickey by phone on Saturday. On Sunday, AA and Gibbons had a long and enjoyable meeting with Dickey. Originally they planned to have coffee, but it appears that they moved on to stronger stuff. They finalized the contract on Sunday morning and the deal was done.

A certain Detroit fan is so excited by this trade, that she just can’t wait for Dickey to pitch against Fister.

• gammagammahey - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Dickey-Johnson is going to be one of the best 1-2 dong joke combos among starting rotations in baseball as well. What’s Chien Ming Wang up to these days?

• indaburg - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I am concerned that we’re blowing our load of Dickey puns too soon. It’s a long season, gentlemen. Pace yourselves.

• historiophiliac - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Meh, Burgie. I might be happy if they just get it over with.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I think that we have just been accused of premature punning.

• paint771 - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

A few days ago I got to ruminate at length about the merits of this trade based on the relative value of a short-term Dickey versus an extended Dickey.

This was pretty much the highlight of my week.

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I haven’t even STARTED to pun. AND Gator’s on board. You people better strap yourselves in: its going to be one, loaded, turgid metaphor after another come the new season…My Dog…what did I just write?

• historiophiliac - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I see what you did there, with the subtle Dickey leaks reference. Out of curiosity, how long will this last, gentlemen?

• proudlycanadian - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM

LOL! We gentlemen are not as subtle as you ladies. The reference was unintentional.

5. temporarilyexiled - Dec 18, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Craig, nice commentary. I see the Blue Jays beating out the Rays, and the other three teams scrambling for the other three spots. But I’m not convinced this is the best division in baseball. I predict mediocrity for the other three, and one or more of them might actually end up well below .500.

What I’d really like to see is your audition for Skip Bayless money. Come on, explain how the 1951 St. Louis Browns won the Dickey trade. It’ll no doubt be more entertaining than Skip Bayless, and who knows, maybe it’s that risky move that really gets your career going.

6. The Dangerous Mabry - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I miss Tiffany.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2924)