New Mets prospect Noah Syndergaard tweeted an anti-gay slur

Dec 18, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT

Image (1) Mets%20Logo.png for post 3109

Probably not the way Noah Syndergaard, the pitching prospect included in the R.A. Dickey deal, wanted to be introduced to Mets fans and the New York media: he tweeted — and then deleted — an anti-gay slur from his Twitter feed.

Andy Martino has the tweet. It’s the “f” word. No, the other “f” word. It seems from context like it was used to mock a friend or acquaintance over wearing Crocs (the person he tweeted to has a protected account, which means he knows Syndergaard on some level), not to go after an actual gay person or something.  Nevertheless, a Mets spokesman said that the team “was looking into the matter.”

Not the most surprising thing in the world given that the guy is 20 and, until yesterday, didn’t necessarily have a lot of people watching him. But he’s about to learn that playing for a New York team drastically changes the level of scrutiny one receives.

124 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. kdeval31 - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Is there such thing as a pro-gay slur?

• chill1184 - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Fabulous?

• echech88 - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Fierce!

• hotdogfinger - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:23 PM

French?

2. seannymo - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

what a non-story

• manifunk - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Yeah let’s just keep silent on homophobia in professional sports.

• deadeyedesign23 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I’d love to see you be held accountable for everything you did when you were 20 years old.

• blacksables - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM

A word is not homophobic.

The meaning behind it is.

Most words have different meanings.

It’s the intent, not the word he used.

Unless the friend was gay, I don’t see the intent.

• 1flyboy1 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Gay slurs don’t have to be levied against only a gay person for they to be offensive.

• paperlions - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Of course he used it as a slur. He used fa–ot in a negative context, as if being one is a bad thing and only such people would be caught wearing crocs. The implied negativity makes it a slur with intent to disparage a group by associating a person with that group as a form of derision.

• seannymo - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM

this won’t even come up again, a reporter did some digging to find a topic on a newly acquired player to get clicks and he found it, good for him.

i’d like to know the innapropriate insults you call your friends and then have someone accuse you of being something you’re not. just bc he used that word doesn’t make him homophobic, even tho it obviously was a poor choice.

• Daniel Lawson - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM

the care factor in professional sports is near zero

• protius - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM

paperlions:

Would you mind if I saved your comments, and quoted them elsewhere? I will be sure to cite you.

• rayfeathers - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM

a comment to his friend about his shoes for godsakes. this is how young jocks talk. get over it.

3. dalucks - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Unfortunately, everyone does not like gay people. It is his feeling, opinion and observation from his point of view. Just because I or you do not agree with him does not mean he is wrong, it just means we disagree on this subject.
    As long as he does not bully or cause harm to a gay person then this is harmless.

• Sign Ahead - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

This sounds suspiciously like a “you should tolerate my intolerance” argument. It may get a few anxious, self-pitying cheers from people who share the same viewpoint, but it’s hardly convincing.

• manifunk - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM

So if he called a black person a n****r, would you have the same opinion?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Calling your friend gay as an insult and calling a black person that aren’t in the same ballpark. They’re not the same league, barely even the same sport. The former is pretty immature but doesn’t have nearly the same connotations the latter does.

• 1flyboy1 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Using gay as an insult isn’t in the same ballpark as using the n-word as an insult? Um………………yes. It is in the same ballpark. You’re using a persons’ identity as a means to insult them or others. That’s very offensive.

And it’s this whole “gay/f*g/queer isn’t the same as *other* slurs” mentality that makes these slurs more popular than others. You’re basically saying gay people are beneath other groups and their respect means less. It’s wrong and it needs to be stamped out.

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

mojo you just said something incredibly stupid and it’s people with your opinion who are the problem.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

It’s not the same thing. When you call someone a f*g your intent, in most cases including this one, is not to insult or degrade every homosexual person. When you call anyone a n****r you’re making a statement that says you believe black people’s place in society is as the perpetual lowest class or as slaves.

I’m not in any way defending the anti-gay slur, I’m saying it’s doesn’t carry the same significane as using the n-word, it’s a matter of immaturity rather than hate.

• ezthinking - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM

1943, did you see Pulp Fiction for the first time and just have to find a place to throw these comments out?

This is an argument you will lose because your position is weak even if you steal quotes from a great movie.

• 1flyboy1 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Actually, most people who use the n-word these days do so as a means of affection or as slang. “What’s up my n*gga” or “that n*gga over there”, just a couple examples. Most do not use it as a means to attack black people and those that do are considered racist, 100%, which they are.

Gay slurs are used as a means to offend about 90% of the time. Whether it’s meant to offend a gay person is irrelevant. The reality is, it’s meant to offend. It’s meant to cut someone down. And it’s using a gay euphemism to do it. How does that not keep gay people down? How does that not pinpoint the reality that being gay in many circles is still seen as a bad thing? Otherwise these slurs wouldn’t be used.

There are no degrees of power here, it’s not a competition. Wrong is wrong.

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM

You’re so completely wrong and off-base and it’s your idea of the persons intent matters is the problem.

You say that “n****r” is wrong because it carries a meaning of being lesser than the rest
        The calling someone a “f*g” is NO DIFFERENT

Do you joking call friends “n*****r” in public? No you don’t. And why is that? Because you like to have a lil bit of class? Consider yourself a lil more evolved than that? There’s no difference.

You’re obviously part of a generation that thinks calling others f*gs and ret*rds is acceptable because you never really meant to be mean and have been doing it for so long that there is nothing wrong with it.

Well take a look at how your opinion is being rated in 2012. You look wilfully ignorant right now. Time to change

• paperlions - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM

If you call some a f_g or a n___r and the intent is to insult or deride that person, then you are using the word as a slur, by definition.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM

My point was that using the slur this guy did and calling a black man a n****r are not the same thing. They’re both not right, but for different reasons. I don’t attempt to defend either but I don’t like all the feigned outrage over what this kid said.

Based on the comments/ratings, as one of you suggested, I’m not out of touch or ignorant. I’m on one side of a totally split opinion.

No more of this argument. Goodnight.

• rayfeathers - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

completely different. it most cases it means sissy and has nothing to do with sexuality. the other word is always offensive.

4. spicyjimbolaya - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I’m sure Louis CK had something to say about a story like this.

At least this keeps bloggers and trolls busy for another 15 seconds.

5. dianagram - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Noah Syndergaard DOES anagram to “Hardon as gay nerd”

• Charles Gates - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM

you win the internets for today

6. indaburg - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

That tweet was so ignorant. A quick non-scientific survey I conducted revealed that no gay man would be caught wearing crocs. They’re hideous.

• Old Gator - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Okay, he doesn’t like gays. That won’t fly in Nyorc, but check how he feels about Fidel Castro and make sure he has no revolutionary tweets on his record. He might make a good fit in Macondo.

• rayfeathers - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM

your marlins would look good in crocs. they might take the viewers attention away from those god-awful caps.

• slartibartfast4242 - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Maybe he was talking about gathering up a few fagots to start a fire and throw those hideous crocs into it.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Alright…I am confused. Are you saying it is NOT gay when a Man wears Crocs? LOL!
      Sorry…I couldn’t resist. It’s a work in progress. But I do think it’s a little gay. Okay…I will stop.

To your post: On point.
      My neighbors (Gay Couple) are two people my Family considers wonderful people…and even better friends. We watch each others properties when one of us are on Vacation. We care for each other’s animals (they have CATS). These dudes have class. These dudes have style. As do most gay people.
      And you are correct. They would most certainly NOT be caught wearing crocs.
      Ironically…they also have no problem whatsoever with me referring to something as “gay” whenever I find it is kooky, corny, quirky, peculiar, etc… Of course…they know me very well and appreciate that I am genuine. In their words…I am “real.” As I told them…of course they have cats! LOL!

7. ryanrockzzz - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

The fact the media is trying to stir the pot here is the more offensive thing to me. I live in the real world, where people that stuff all the time in a half joking way.

I’m sure this dude didn’t mean to offend anyone who is gay by saying that his friend looked like a f** in crocs. He was probably doing what millions of other 20 year old’s do, which is try and be funny. Good taste or bad taste, the intention is assumed by the media.

I have gay friends and they wouldn’t be offended by this at all. I’m glad he deleted it out of respect to any who may still be offended, but really it’s a non issue and a non story.

• natslady - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I am 100% supporter of gay rights, and am eagerly awaiting when players can appear with their partners at charity events, etc. That said, if this is the worst thing he does as a 20-year-old…

• 1flyboy1 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

The media isn’t stirring the pot. The media is doing it’s job, reporting on something that is considered offensive to many people, regarding a forefront issue, homophobia in sports and homophobia in general. Noah probably didn’t intend to be homophobic but this isn’t a non-story. I’m not offended at all, but the reality is, these slurs are offensive slurs, and they’re homophobic. We all know these words aren’t cool, which is why people use them over twitter or in private but rarely publicly. And the only way to eliminate this homophobia is to expose it.

• natslady - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I agree with you. However, words are words and bullets are bullets. Hopefully, this young man will not only change his tweets, but his actual feelings!

• 1flyboy1 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

You’re right. It’s the mentality behind the words that matter most. Hopefully Noah does learn to realize why it’s not cool what he did. That would be a nice way to make things good from a bad situation.

• rayfeathers - Dec 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM

waaaaaa waaaaaa. this is not homophobia. this is a word used by jocks to call someone a sissy.

8. legacybroken - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

They should put him and Delmon Young together in a sensitivity class.

9. dabirdguy - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

This kind of “reporting” is what gives reporters a bad name. This is not sports news, this is garbage. Anyone that reports on it or repeats it is also garbage (guilt by association). This is still a free country and whatever a player tweets is HIS business, not yours. Free speach and free press works BOTH WAYS. Clean up your act!

• davidpom50 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM

What does free speech have to do with anything? Did the government pass a law that required him to delete his tweet? Otherwise, he’s free to say what he wants, and we’re free to judge him to be ignorant. Like others said, dude is 20 years old, so I see this as more of a chance to teach him something rather than excoriate him.

• dabirdguy - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

WHO are YOU to “TEACH” him anything? THAT is the issue with you political policemen…you think you have a total right to decide what is proper and what is not. It OFFENDS ME that you think you have that right.

• 1flyboy1 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Using slurs that are connected to the demonizing of a minority group is not proper nor should anyone have to be told it isn’t proper.

• dabirdguy - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Show me your credentials as JUDGE before you make such a sweeping statement. Otherwise preface it with what it is…YOUR OPINION. Your opinion is NOT fact.

• 1flyboy1 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM

OK. So it’s my opinion, and the opinion of I’d venture at least 80% of people, that using slurs that are connected to hate as a means to demean someone is not appropriate. And it’s my opinion that people who would go out of their way to defend such behavior are pretty immoral and ignorant.

• davidpom50 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Who am I to teach him anything? I’m a guy that said a lot of the same types of things when I was 20 years old, and regret that now – because people were willing to teach me. Are you arguing that he didn’t mean to insult gay people? If that’s the case, yes, he should be informed that words have meanings and those meanings can be extremely hurtful and offensive, since that wasn’t his intention. If you’re arguing that he DID mean to insult gay people, that it’s perfectly OK to insult, demonize, and discriminate against people for the way the way they’re born, then that’s a whole other conversation.

I’m not the one deciding what’s proper and what is not. Society is. The Founding Fathers did. The Declaration of Independance and The Constitution have a say in the matter.

10. kkolchak - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM

When is the lesson going to be learned? Putting your idiotic comments on Twitter for all the world to see is NOT the same thing as verbally joshing around with your buddies in your basement. If you are too big of dumbass to understand the difference you should really stay off Twitter.

11. jaybird22seven - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

So he called someone a fag. Who cares. Good for you Noah!!! Hahaha. Everyone is getting to sensitive.

• kkolchak - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Personally, I’m not terribly offended. But the Mets, who play in New York where there is a huge gay population whom they might be trying to sell tickets to and some of whom MIGHT take offense, have to be seen as addressing the issue.

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Actually not “good for you”. Kid’s in the national media on one of MLB’s biggest, most important teams in one of the world’s most important Cities. Surely in that context you can see what a terrible idea it is to go national with that comment? Or not. Some people are tone deaf to nuance and ignorant to context and nothing suggests that being Canadian should automatically prevent you, jaybird, from being that. Alas.

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Someone a long time ago said “He called him a n****r who cares? Good for you Cletus”

Congrats you just put yourself in that camp.

12. cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Probably not how the kid wanted to start the career in NY. Pity it wasn’t an anti-Wilpon slur. We’d all be cheering him on instead. Well, when I was 20 I bet I said that “f” word a time or three. No one told the world what a douche I was back then. I suspect a very public apology is coming up. Lets hope he grows out of getting his face on TV like this.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I would just swear that I was typing the word “fart” and my finger slipped off the “r” and “t” and hit the “g” which are all next to each other on the keyboard. That or blame auto correct if it was done on his phone.

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Ah autocorrect: 90% of the time making your world more difficult and that 10% of the time when its useful its REALLY useful. Not unlike owning an H1.

13. APBA Guy - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM

My middle nephew is headed in this direction, unfortunately, of not being aware that social media is not the same as being with his baseball buddies in the dugout. Since he was in the LLWS he’s been in a cocoon of baseball in which socially unacceptable comment and thought is tolerated. It starts with his parents, unfortunately again, and now his coaches who don’t follow his tweets and postings. I can imagine the same thing with Syndergaard. Hopefully now that he’s getting some well deserved negative reaction the socialization he should have had will catch up to him in a hurry and this won’t happen again.

14. realgone2 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Psssssh. Silly media. You do realize he was calling his friend a British meatball commonly made of pork offal.

15. 1flyboy1 - Dec 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Well, looks like they’ll never learn until money is out of their pockets. Then we hear “sorry, I won’t do it again, I didn’t mean to offend anyone”.

I’m not offended for the simple fact stupidity doesn’t offend me. But this is yet another representation of the mentality that is pervasive in sports that keeps non-straight players closeted.

• dabirdguy - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM

“I don’t care if he has relations with a McCormic Reaper” is a line from a Henry Fonda movie about a presidential campaign. What an athlete does/says/screws/thinks is off the field stuff and is none of our damned business. A gay athlete should stay in the closet. A married athlete should keep how he does his wife private. THAT is none of our business. The PRESS does not understand that. Sensationalizing this crap gets them headlines and recognition. My OPINION is that we need to make that recognition what it is worth….garbage.
      We have lost track of what these guys do, and that is play baseball far better than we can. The rest is garbage.

• davidpom50 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Do you understand the difference between staying in the closet and keeping private explicit details? Are you implying that straight athletes should never allow their wives or girlfriends in public? Never acknowledge at all that they’re married or dating? Why do you expect that of gay athletes? Did you react this angrily to all the stories about Derek Jeter’s escapades?

They’re ball players, but they’re also public figures.

• 1flyboy1 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM

A gay athlete should stay in the closet? Well, thanks for showing us all what you really think. BTW, it becomes our business when someone makes a statement like this publicly. If Noah wanted to make this private he wouldn’t have made a public tweet with a gay slur. He showed bad judgment and it is what is is.

Yes, these men are athletes first and foremost, but they also represent their families, their teams, the MLB, and sports in general. And that’s what makes using these types of slurs a big deal.

16. buddaley - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:03 PM

You have a child-6 years old, 10 years old, whatever. S/he yells a homophobic or racist or anti-semitic or anti-Italian slur or some other similar expression at someone in the school yard. What do you do?

1. Say “it’s no big deal”, and move on?

2. Get angry at the teacher for reprimanding her/him?

3. Complain that everyone is getting too touchy about the subject?

4. Harken back to the good old days when such slurs were commonplace and accepted?

5. Smack him around and ground him for a month with no entertainment opportunities?

6. Firmly let her know that such language is hurtful and inappropriate and require her to make some clear acknowledgement that she was wrong and will avoid the mistake again, just as you would had she violated some other social rule?

If at 20, Syndergaard is still using such language and broadcasts it on a twitter account, he has not been educated properly or has not accepted the notion that bigotry is unacceptable. That is not an issue of free thought or free speech; I don’t think anyone is calling for him to be jailed or fined. But it is legitimate to let him know that such behavior will lead to strong condemnation and social pressure not to repeat it.

• dabirdguy - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM

EVERYONE is a bigot. I don’t like asparagus. I think it should be outlawed.
      By your rules does that mean you should not be allowed to like asparagus?
      Do not think you can imprint your “RIGHT THINK” on everyone else.
      EVERYONE has the RIGHT to be a bigot. About ANY topic.
      YOU cannot control thought, nor can you control opinion of other people.
      YOU DO NOT HAVE THAT RIGHT.

We have had many many many veterans died just for the right that allows you to have an OPINION, and to express that OPINION. By saying that is is WRONG to express an opinion spits on their graves.
      THAT, my friend is indeed WRONG.

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

And every employer has the right to punish you for being a bigot in a public forum
        And the court of public opinion has the right to see your bigotry and everyone has the right to view you and judge you as they wish.

It’s 2012 out there, it takes incredible ignorance of North American culture to make a tweet like this and not it become a negative in your profession.

So yes you have the right to think and feel as you wish. If you actually think that right provides you protection in any way…well lol at you.
        You might be the type that thinks your free speech means you can walk into a mall and shout anything you wish.

Why don’t you try and see how wrong you truly are….

• Sign Ahead - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Ouch!

Your false equivalence is showing. You might want to cover that up before someone gets the impression that you can’t tell the difference between a vegetable and a human being.

• hellboundglory9 - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

YOU sure do yell A LOT. MAYBE you think you’re adding EMPHASIS, but you REALLY just look SILLY.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM

You don’t like asparagus? Well…I can only surmise you have never had it with melted butter.

• realgone2 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Well in today’s day it’d be number 6. Since we coddle children and try to talk to them like fellow adults. What’s wrong with number 5? The beatings will continue until morale improves. Parents today wanna be “buddies” with their kids instead of authority figures and positive example setters.

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Generalize much?

• realgone2 - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM

You must be one of those parents that thinks everyone should be a winner.

17. kevinbnyc - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Amazing how a story about homophobia really brings out the idiots on this site.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Point taken Kevin. I would counter that we have always had the idiots.
      It just the hot button issues that seem to bring them outta’ the trees.

• kevinbnyc - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Agreed. But talking about how the Phillies/Yankees are going to sign EVERYONE and how everyone hates them is one thing. Saying “F*g” isn’t offensive is a whole new level of ignorance.

• jkline3 - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM

IDIOT: Psychology. (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

18. dodgeblue - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Let me get this straight, some kid uses a gay slur to a pal on twitter, and given the national tragedy this nation is enduring, this is given ANY weight?! Get some priorities people, geez!

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM

National tragedy everyone!!! Time to suspend reality and look the other way on everything and anything not on the tragedy’s level!

Earthquake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Time to go looting type mentality

• historiophiliac - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Wow, yeah, everytime there’s a tragedy in America you get to be a jackass for the next week or two. I mean, we don’t expect decency at a time like this.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Hahaha! Philiac took an extra smart ass pill today.

• historiophiliac - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM

The Dickey jokes are breaking me down.

About time you catch up, Woodpecker.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM

“Looks like you could use a drink too there.”

Sorry Philiac. Admittedly…when people make assumptions I tend to pounce.
        It drives me crazy like nothing else. It is a weakness for sure.
        But back to your point…yes I could use a drink.
        Which is why I am signing off now to go enjoy one (or 8).
        Have a good evening!

• thereisaparty - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM

And there are going to be a half a million deaths from malaria alone this year. We could do this all day. Baseball is a silly game. Talking about it is going to seem odd when juxtaposed with real-life. But a shooting in Connecticut doesn’t change the fact that a top prospect shouldn’t be using an offensive gay slur.

19. raysfan1 - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM

The issue here isn’t really his feelings about anybody, and we don’t really know his feelings anyway. Of more immediate pertinence is that everyone needs to learn that tweeting something is just like saying it publically. If you wouldn’t use a word speaking to a reporter knowing it was then going to be in the paper or on TV, then don’t tweet it either. If you do, you deserve all the fallout you get.

• thereisaparty - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM

But hopefully the takeaway lesson for Syndergaard is to simply stop using such language, in private or public.

20. ezthinking - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM

He should have just told his friend he looked like a Met in those crocs.

21. genericcommenter - Dec 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM

The silly thing about this is that no one should need to reference sexuality at all in a discussion of how terrible and ridiculous Crocs are. There are just so many things wrong about them that you could make all kinds of inoffensive remarks, and I doubt any gays rock Crocs any way.

22. thebadguyswon - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

ZZZzzzz

23. thebadguyswon - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Something tells me if this was a Houston prospect, it wouldn’t have been a post on HBT.

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

And something tells me you are wrong. When an equally obscure team in Toronto had a player with a gay slur written on his face it was news here. When AAA prospects from other clubs did similar things in social media, they were reported here. In fact, this is one place where you are LIKELY to hear about it.

• historiophiliac - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Yeah, Astros, Blue Jays, that’s equivalent. ;)

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Last season? Yes. Sadly.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM

We like our drama. We like it alot.
      See’s Curs post. I would say you are almost guaranteed to find a post on HBT about it.

24. paperlions - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I blame the unexpected abundance of ignorant comments to this story on the Yahoo merger….bunch of fricken yahoos.

• historiophiliac - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM

We may have a built-in permanent scapegoat there.

25. jaybird22seven - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM

It’s something you will have to try and get used to Noah. Your going to be playing ball in front of alot of fags in NewYork !!!

• Charles Gates - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Motion to permanently ban jaybird22seven.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

“Based on what? If your answer is anything other than the ‘majority of everybody isn’t a baseball fan,’ then wow.”

You can’t be serious Charles. Really? Noooo…can’t be.
        I mean…you have been an HBT regular long enough to know where I stand on most issues (regardless of whether you agree with them or not). At least I thought so.
        And yet…you still ask me this question. I was actually backing you up.
        But it was obviously lost on you. Fix yourself a drink. You are wound waaaaay too tight.

To further assist you:
        While I am sure the heterosexual population has a lot of baseball fans…I am equally sure the majority of heterosexuals are NOT baseball fans.

Yeah…fix that drink Man.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Shhhh…
        Don’t tell anyone Charles…but I ALSO have a cat.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:44 PM

You have now jumped off the deap end 22. While I am sure the homosexual population has a lot of baseball fans…I am equally sure the majority of homosexuals are NOT baseball fans.
      This means you have wasted your time…my time…and everyone else’s time.
      This is time you could have better spent stump breaking the rest of your farm animals.
      Think. Of. The. Animals.

• Charles Gates - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I am equally sure the majority of homosexuals are NOT baseball fans

• historiophiliac - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Looks like you could use a drink too there.

• historiophiliac - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Hey, at least I’m not the one driving you to drink this time. ;)

Mr. Peabody, out.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5523)