New Mets prospect Noah Syndergaard tweeted an anti-gay slur

Dec 18, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT

Image (1) Mets%20Logo.png for post 3109

Probably not the way Noah Syndergaard, the pitching prospect included in the R.A. Dickey deal, wanted to be introduced to Mets fans and the New York media: he tweeted — and then deleted — an anti-gay slur from his Twitter feed.

Andy Martino has the tweet. It’s the “f” word. No, the other “f” word. It seems from context like it was used to mock a friend or acquaintance over wearing Crocs (the person he tweeted to has a protected account, which means he knows Syndergaard on some level), not to go after an actual gay person or something.  Nevertheless, a Mets spokesman said that the team “was looking into the matter.”

Not the most surprising thing in the world given that the guy is 20 and, until yesterday, didn’t necessarily have a lot of people watching him. But he’s about to learn that playing for a New York team drastically changes the level of scrutiny one receives.

124 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. andreweac - Dec 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM

South Park version of the f** word or non-South Park version?

2. jfk69 - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM

A gay acquaintance at work the other day saw my outfit and yelled out..” YOU ARE SO F’ENN HETROSEXUAL”. I Immediately got human resources on the line and after a sitdown casual Fridays will now include any clothing item sold by Cabela’s. Crocs are still banned by the gay and hetro work place community. We both feel they are too damn ugly.
    PEACE AT LAST

• badintent - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Should have sued him and contact Holder about a Federal Justice Dept. civil class action law suit.Sorry, my bad, Holder has enough problems with Congressional investigation in his little “Fast and Furious ” gun problem at this time. Thanks Holder, for putting more guns into the hands of drug cartels.

3. Daniel Lawson - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM

if a word has power over you then you’re an idiot…

4. mydadyourmom - Dec 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

The word, when used properly, is hilarious. Cmaaaaaaaan Chuck Gates. Gitg. Hihf.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM

MDYM (MyDadYourMom):
      Really? is that where we are now?
      Gitg?
      Growing in the Garden?
      Government Information Technology Group?
      Gross Investment in Tangible Goods?
      Glitter in the Garbage?

Then…you top “Gitg” with “Hihf.”
      I could find ZERO meaning for “Hihf.”

• macjacmccoy - Dec 19, 2012 at 2:52 AM

GITG = Get it to Go?
        HIHF = Hand in Hand Fun?

Who knows. I do know its insane that people cant take the couple seconds to write the extra 10-20 letters the phrase is suppose to have so normal non-addicted-to-world-of-warcraft-sitting-in-my-mothers-basement-only-social-contact-I-have-is-through-a-headset-so-it-doesnt-matter-to-me-that-I-ram-cheese-puffs-down-my-gullet-until-my-fingers-are-so-fat-that-i-cant–use-the-keyboard-well-enough-so-i-have-to-abbreviate-everything-or-it-will-take-me-all-day-to-write-a-sentence type of people can understand what the hell your writing.

• mydadyourmom - Dec 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM

get in the game – heard it here first. haha

5. bigtrav425 - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Who caresssss!! Why does everyone care?!!? He has a right to his own opinion and to talk however he wants.if anyone does not like it then don’t follow him or become a fan of his simple as that

• cur68 - Dec 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I think the Mets & MLB care. They pay him and, as his employer, have certain expectations of his conduct and public statements. I thought that one was obvious.

6. jaybird22seven - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM

What’s a matter Charles Gates can’t take a joke ?

• Charles Gates - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM

What joke was that?

7. jaybird22seven - Dec 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Loosen up people !!!! Time to relax

8. jonnybaseball - Dec 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I’m wearing Crocs right now and could probably kick the shit out of 99% of you fags. BOOM.

• jimeejohnson - Dec 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Kaboom!

9. damnyankee13 - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM

who cares??

10. miketreedy - Dec 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

This is a sports room full of men and everyone is so damn sensitive. Remember when men where really men in this country! Stopping being wimps its just a damn word. It won’t hurt you.

11. twoseam2007 - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM

C’mon, THIS is funny. People take offense to everything these days lol, lighten up.

12. macjacmccoy - Dec 19, 2012 at 2:53 AM

F** is a Anti gay Slur? I would say its a gay slur. An Anti gay slur would be like calling someone who doesnt like gay people a homophobic tool or something. Calling me a Mc isnt an anti-irish slur its just an Irish slur.

13. brandonmckenna76 - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I don’t get it. Anyone wearing Crocs deserves to be called a f** or a douche-bag

14. stercuilus65 - Dec 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM

The outrage over the use of the word fag is so gay.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate