Dec 18, 2012, 10:14 PM EST
But that’s apparently not going on anymore.
According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and Sirius XM, the Padres are “out” on Jackson because he wants at least a four-year contract and the San Diego front office isn’t willing to commit that long to him. Bowden says Jackson is now deciding between the Cubs and Rangers, and it sure sounds like he could settle on a destination by the conclusion of this week. The chips are falling, people.
Jackson posted a 4.03 ERA and 1.22 WHIP across 31 starts in 2012 for the Nationals, fanning 168 batters and issuing only 58 walks in 189 2/3 innings. He got rocked by St. Louis in his one postseason outing.
The 29-year-old, who has also pitched for the Dodgers, Rays, Tigers, Diamondbacks, White Sox and Cardinals, owns a 4.40 career ERA and a 1.44 career WHIP. He is represented by agent Greg Genske.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)