Dec 18, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
But that’s apparently not going on anymore.
According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and Sirius XM, the Padres are “out” on Jackson because he wants at least a four-year contract and the San Diego front office isn’t willing to commit that long to him. Bowden says Jackson is now deciding between the Cubs and Rangers, and it sure sounds like he could settle on a destination by the conclusion of this week. The chips are falling, people.
Jackson posted a 4.03 ERA and 1.22 WHIP across 31 starts in 2012 for the Nationals, fanning 168 batters and issuing only 58 walks in 189 2/3 innings. He got rocked by St. Louis in his one postseason outing.
The 29-year-old, who has also pitched for the Dodgers, Rays, Tigers, Diamondbacks, White Sox and Cardinals, owns a 4.40 career ERA and a 1.44 career WHIP. He is represented by agent Greg Genske.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)