Dec 18, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Phillies have Wells “on their shopping list” this winter and could pounce if a trade winds up making sense. The Phillies are also known to have interest in free agent outfielder Cody Ross, though he’s been contacted by several teams and could become too pricey.
Wells is owed $21 million in 2013 and another $21 million in 2014, but the Angels are reportedly willing to eat a vast majority of that remaining salary so that they can clear playing time for some of their more productive players.
Wells, 34, batted just .230/.279/.403 with 11 home runs and 29 RBI in 262 plate appearances this past summer for Anaheim. He has a brutal .222/.258/.409 slash line over his last 791 plate appearances.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)