Dec 18, 2012, 7:37 PM EST
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Phillies have Wells “on their shopping list” this winter and could pounce if a trade winds up making sense. The Phillies are also known to have interest in free agent outfielder Cody Ross, though he’s been contacted by several teams and could become too pricey.
Wells is owed $21 million in 2013 and another $21 million in 2014, but the Angels are reportedly willing to eat a vast majority of that remaining salary so that they can clear playing time for some of their more productive players.
Wells, 34, batted just .230/.279/.403 with 11 home runs and 29 RBI in 262 plate appearances this past summer for Anaheim. He has a brutal .222/.258/.409 slash line over his last 791 plate appearances.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)