Dec 18, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Phillies have Wells “on their shopping list” this winter and could pounce if a trade winds up making sense. The Phillies are also known to have interest in free agent outfielder Cody Ross, though he’s been contacted by several teams and could become too pricey.
Wells is owed $21 million in 2013 and another $21 million in 2014, but the Angels are reportedly willing to eat a vast majority of that remaining salary so that they can clear playing time for some of their more productive players.
Wells, 34, batted just .230/.279/.403 with 11 home runs and 29 RBI in 262 plate appearances this past summer for Anaheim. He has a brutal .222/.258/.409 slash line over his last 791 plate appearances.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)