Dec 18, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Phillies have Wells “on their shopping list” this winter and could pounce if a trade winds up making sense. The Phillies are also known to have interest in free agent outfielder Cody Ross, though he’s been contacted by several teams and could become too pricey.
Wells is owed $21 million in 2013 and another $21 million in 2014, but the Angels are reportedly willing to eat a vast majority of that remaining salary so that they can clear playing time for some of their more productive players.
Wells, 34, batted just .230/.279/.403 with 11 home runs and 29 RBI in 262 plate appearances this past summer for Anaheim. He has a brutal .222/.258/.409 slash line over his last 791 plate appearances.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)